• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this Ok?

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
My friend knows I have rabbits, so asked if this was ok. She was planning on getting a 3/4ft hutch, but with a 14/5ft run. It would have lots of hidey places also.

Is it ok? xx

How many buns would it be for? Is the hutch double or single?

Sounds like they would have enough space... but how secure would it all be from foxes etc? They will need somewhere to escape to, usually a hutch from anything that scares them, so hidey places are good too but i would want mine to have at least a 6ft hutch to cuddle in if it got cold or the weather turned... :?

Would the run have a cover? half covered? They will need plenty of shelter from the weather :)

How many buns would it be for? Is the hutch double or single?

Sounds like they would have enough space... but how secure would it all be from foxes etc? They will need somewhere to escape to, usually a hutch from anything that scares them, so hidey places are good too but i would want mine to have at least a 6ft hutch to cuddle in if it got cold or the weather turned... :?

Would the run have a cover? half covered? They will need plenty of shelter from the weather :)

2. We saw some at our local rescue, about the same size and build as Snowy. Single story, it would be half covered, but with carrier, lots of big boxes with hay in, huge one with blanket and snugglesafe in etc :wave:

I don't think that a 3ft hutch is really big enough to be honest. I think a couple of 4ft hutches would be more appropriate or even a 5ft one if there are other hidey holes.

If its a local rescue she is getting some from she would be best to contact them and ask how big the accommodation needs to be. No point setting it all up to be turned down. :wave:

Reccomended size
6x2 + 6x4 = 36sqft

What she would have
4x2 + 4x5 = 28sqft

Sorry but I don't think they would have nearly enough space that they should have (IMO even the reccomended space is not big enough)

ETA - So sorry read that a 4/5ft run doh :roll: Umm I would still say have a bigger hutch, could she not have a 5ft one at the least? :wave:

Reccomended size
6x2 + 6x4 = 36sqft

What she would have
4x2 + 4x5 = 28sqft

Sorry but I don't think they would have nearly enough space that they should have (IMO even the reccomended space is not big enough)

ETA - So sorry read that a 4/5ft run doh :roll: Umm I would still say have a bigger hutch, could she not have a 5ft one at the least? :wave:

It's a 14 or 15ft run :? Thank you though. Could you possibly work out how big it is now? Thank you :D:wave:

I am sorry but a 3 or a 4 foot hutch is far too small for even one rabbits to live in even with a large attatched run that they get 24 hour access to.

Hutches not only protect rabbits from the sun, wind, snow and rain they also provide them with protection away from predators. If a fox came to visit and a rabbit has a tiny space to try and hide away from a predator it is unlikely if they can be totally invinsible which could result in them sufferring a heart attack as a result of the stress.

While it might do in the summer, what about in the autumn and winter nights when the wind's howling and the rain is lashing down? The buns would be very miserable cooped in such a tiny hutch then.

Anyway, surely, if they can afford such a massive run they can afford a decent hutch too? In fact, if they have so much space, suggest to your friend that she gets a shed. All round best solution. :)

While it might do in the summer, what about in the autumn and winter nights when the wind's howling and the rain is lashing down? The buns would be very miserable cooped in such a tiny hutch then.

Anyway, surely, if they can afford such a massive run they can afford a decent hutch too? In fact, if they have so much space, suggest to your friend that she gets a shed. All round best solution. :)

She has stables, but wants to rent the land out, but if she can't she will attach it to the feed store (7x8ft). Unfortunatly, she cant afford a bigger hutch as she had this from her previous rabbits :(

She has stables, but wants to rent the land out, but if she can't she will attach it to the feed store (7x8ft). Unfortunatly, she cant afford a bigger hutch as she had this from her previous rabbits :(

I'm confused :? (doesn't take much! :lol:) Has she got the buns yet? If she hasn't, maybe now's not the right time if her finances aren't so good? If she's determined to get them now, maybe she could adopt a pair that come with a hutch?

This isn't a stab at you but if she can't afford a hutch, how will she afford vaccs, neutering if required and all the extras that buns come with? Even if she got another 5ft double or something from P@H for £100 it would be better than a 3ft one :)

I'm confused :? (doesn't take much! :lol:) Has she got the buns yet? If she hasn't, maybe now's not the right time if her finances aren't so good? If she's determined to get them now, maybe she could adopt a pair that come with a hutch?

I'm not sure about her financial situation, but the rescue said as long as the run is half covered (8ft) with lots of hidey holes, it will be fine.
ETA: she has got about 2 more 2ft hidey places :wave:

This isn't a stab at you but if she can't afford a hutch, how will she afford vaccs, neutering if required and all the extras that buns come with? Even if she got another 5ft double or something from P@H for £100 it would be better than a 3ft one :)

Have just found out she has lost her job, but has got a new one, and is starting one soon. The rescue will have neutured, and vaccinated for the first 6 months. They have no health problems and they are 3 yrs old. She does have 'essential funds', but is reluctant to draw out of that, as she doesn't want to run out :roll:

Back