• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey Dental not eating

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Bailey had a dental today, she had one about 9 months ago and went in to very bad stasis, she hasnt eaten since late lastnight, lasttime she would only really start eating once we bought her home after being in the vets for 2 days and eating barely anything, im stuck with wether to bring her home tonight and try and feed her or let them keep her for tonight...

yeah, ive spoken to them again and decided to leave her over night, they said she's come round well and is interested in food but not eating yet, hopefully she'll eat overnight :)

I expect she's still drowsy and that she will probably have a few drinks before she starts to eat. Drinks of water I mean !! I doubt the Vets would oblige with a nice glass of Chardonnay !!

Ok thanks, i just get really worried about her, she is really difficult to syringe feed and gets really distressed, im also worried after speaking to the vets to learn that the spurs on her teeth were not bad at all and hadnt even caused an inflamation on her tongue or gums...shes been living at my mums house the past few months as ive been away with uni, my mum recentley started putting her out in the garden again, am abit worried she's eaten a dodgy leaf or somthing now as she had very runny droppings last week when she started to go off her food that then went to small ones then back to normalish then she went in to the vets...
Just have to hope she's better overnight.
do rabbits have just random tummy upsets?

How is Bailey today?
I also have a bun with both gut & tiny molar spurs.

I've personally broken a molar too. there was no pain whatsoever from the tooth but it was agonizingly sharp on my tongue if I talked or swallowed saliva, let alone tried to eat or drink. Although I had no inflammatioon on my tongue I was begging the dentist to deal with it! There's no reason why our bunnies don't feel it just the same way.

Yes, my bun needs very frequent dentals & has a pattern of gradually eating less over a few days with gut slow down as a result. His spurs are minute but a dental makes all the difference.

He can be slow to eat afterwards, cos of the stress of the vet & GA or because the joint of his jaw is a bit sore from his mouth being stretched wide open to do the dental.

So he routinely gets metacam for a couple of days after a dental. Most bunnies adore metacam -yummy.
We also arrange it so he has his dental within an hour of being assessed & is home as soon as he no longer needs monitoring - keeping stress from vet admission to a minimum.

Back