• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat Spinach!

They certainly can and most love it but they shouldn't have too much as spinach is high in calcium (along with broccoli, cauli & parsley) :wave:

Yes! Mine loves it. Which is strange for him because he's soo fussy. :D:love:

can rabbits eat spinach

hi can you tell me on average how much broccoli should a bun have? We are trying different veg but polo loves broccoli. If polo is having to much would it change the colour of his wee?
Thanks for any advice.
P.S Polo loves spinach:D

Typical! Oscars 3 favourite veg! Might have to cut back a bit, he has 2 of these every night...

Try switching the parsley for basil or coriander & the broc for savoy cabbage or rocket ;)

ps - rocket is VERY easy to grow in pots :D:wave:

hi can you tell me on average how much broccoli should a bun have? We are trying different veg but polo loves broccoli. If polo is having to much would it change the colour of his wee?
Thanks for any advice.
P.S Polo loves spinach:D

I wouldn't feed more than 1 small floret a day :) His wee may turn chalky if he has too much.

Try switching the parsley for basil or coriander & the broc for savoy cabbage or rocket ;)

Thanks :) I will try basil and rocket since the last lot of coriander he just left and he has savoy cabbage anyway :roll:

might have to try growing the rocket if he likes it too!

Thanks :) I will try basil and rocket since the last lot of coriander he just left and he has savoy cabbage anyway :roll:

Carrot tops are a good broc replacement too :D & all the buns I've fostered so far love pepper :D

This is a good list (although it doesn't state which are high in calcium :roll:)
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

You could also give him natural leaves: bramble, hawthorn, plantain, raspberry, strawberry, apple, pear & dandelion are all favourites, free and good for buns. Can be fed in addition to veg or as a replacement.

Last edited:
Carrot tops are a good broc replacement too :D & all the buns I've fostered so far love pepper :D

This is a good list (although it doesn't state which are high in calcium :roll:)
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

You could also give him natural leaves: bramble, hawthorn, plantain, raspberry, strawberry, apple, pear & dandelion are all favourites, free and good for buns. Can be fed in addition to veg or as a replacement.

He loves carrot tops, but they are quite expensive to get all the time and they go really droopy in a couple of days and then he won't eat them :roll: Will try some more pepper we have in though...

I remember looking at that list to pick some things to try him on, but never realising how high in calcium broccoli was :oops:

He loves dandelions though wouldn't touch bramble, but we don't have many places to forage for them here. I got both of those from a bank on the side of the road :oops::oops:

I'm growing a mixed seed pack of different grasses and plants to see how they go down too :)

He loves carrot tops, but they are quite expensive to get all the time and they go really droopy in a couple of days and then he won't eat them :roll: Will try some more pepper we have in though...

I remember looking at that list to pick some things to try him on, but never realising how high in calcium broccoli was :oops:

He loves dandelions though wouldn't touch bramble, but we don't have many places to forage for them here. I got both of those from a bank on the side of the road :oops::oops:I'm growing a mixed seed pack of different grasses and plants to see how they go down too :)

This could well be the problem. It's unusual for buns to dislike brambles although I'm sure some taste better than others ;):D They also enjoy them dried so don't worry about picking lots :wave:

To be fair you would only know about the high calcium stuff if someone told you - it really should be stated on the list (IMO)

This could well be the problem. It's unusual for buns to dislike brambles although I'm sure some taste better than others ;):D They also enjoy them dried so don't worry about picking lots :wave:

To be fair you would only know about the high calcium stuff if someone told you - it really should be stated on the list (IMO)

I thought it might be... I might have a walk down to the path through the golf course this weekend to see what I can find, plus it will mean I don't get odd looks from any passers by :oops:

And thank you, I don't feel as daft now! I knew spinach was quite high in calcium so he doesn't get that very often, but didn't realise about broccoli at all. I think when I cut it down though I may have a mini-revolt on my hands :lol::lol:

I thought it might be... I might have a walk down to the path through the golf course this weekend to see what I can find, plus it will mean I don't get odd looks from any passers by :oops:

And thank you, I don't feel as daft now! I knew spinach was quite high in calcium so he doesn't get that very often, but didn't realise about broccoli at all. I think when I cut it down though I may have a mini-revolt on my hands :lol::lol:

So long as you replace it with something equally nommy you should be ok ;):lol:

This link lists the calcium content of many greens:
http://www.bayerhearts.com/Calcium/Foods/Vegetables.aspx

Unfortunately I'm not sure what a good serving size would be for these exactly. I just limit the high-calcium greens.

Kale is one of the very most nutritious greens but it's high in calcium and can cause gas (which can be a pretty serious problem.) Same deal with broccoli.

Anyone know what greens can make buns get gas? I worry about that but they're tummies aren't hard and swollen or anything, so the worry must be just me ;)

My two eat spinach and brocoli daily and they are fine , I understand it is high in calcium but they have had no problems.

:shock::shock:

..but isn't prevention better than cure? ETA: and there are sooooo many other things they can eat :wave: Not saying never, just in moderation :wave:

Sorry, don't want to cause a "debate" but I hear that kind of statement so often and then the worst thing happens :(:( (not always diet related).

Last edited:
Back