• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you pick your bun/s up?

I try to avoid it as much as possible since Oscar isn't that keen, but when I do it is usually either one hand around his bum and one under his belly, or kind of scooping him from either side (he's a very small rabbit!)

normally fore finger and second finger either side of the front legs thumb on top of body, and the scooop the bum with the other hand, then place on my chest x

:lol: Yeah thats how I do it! Though I know someone who pics them up one hand under the bum and on holding onto the scruff loosely. Is this right? :?

One hand on their bums and the other behind their front legs/belly & Lift.
Then when holding them i have them cuddled into my chest :lol:

ek no! scruffing shouldnt be done, I have on ever ONCE had to scruff a rabbit, and that was when naughty Rolo dug under the fencing and got out the garden and was running towards the main road, caught up with him a scruffed him, but I would only ever do it in a serious emergency!!

:lol: Yeah thats how I do it! Though I know someone who pics them up one hand under the bum and on holding onto the scruff loosely. Is this right? :?

It's not how I would do it but, as long as the hand is under the bum taking the weight (rather than letting the bunny dangle by the scruff), then it's quite a safe way of lifting.

One of the vets I saw with Alfie picked him up that way and Alfie didn't wriggle at all - unlike the terrible locum who picked him up the 'normal' way and looked like she was wrestling a slippery sausage when Alfie struggled; how she didn't drop him on his head I'll never know. :shock:

My buns are both little so I find it easier to put one hand either side of their body (making sure I've got hold of their feet and not just got my hands round their tummy) and then scoop them up into my arms..... if that makes any sense. :oops:

I don't. :oops: Spenser regards being picked up as a great insult to his bunny dignity, and he is a VERY strong rabbit. I have only managed to pick him up once this year so far. He travels from hutch to conservatory in his carry-box.

I don't, Jenson has NONE of it!
I started the lift his front legs while he was sat on my lap (while I'm sat on the floor) in the hope that he got used to it and I could then try lifting his bum a little. I "was" making progress, front legs a little, then a little more, then he just thought no, and that was that, would hardly sit on me for food, it's only the last two days he's sat on me again (I was feeling very un-bunny-loved).

He's got so much bigger too (2.10 at his last visit to the vet and I'm sure he's grown again). Not to mention he's so quick I've no hope.

Nora hates being picked up so much and she's so fast there's not really a graceful way to do it :( And he hates going into her box to carry her in that instead :(

Walter isn't as bad, but only coz he's slower, so i have a millisecond more to position my hands :(

I kinda put one hand under the middle between the legs and scoop up then support the feet, so that bunny is kinda standing on my hand, if that makes sense!!

I kinda put one hand under the middle between the legs and scoop up then support the feet, so that bunny is kinda standing on my hand, if that makes sense!!

Yes, thats how i hold Ginger.

Biscuit, well, its just a no-go area being held. If i *REALLY* have to, i do the same, but have to hold him fairly firmly with the hand closest to the top of the body and hold his bum / rear legs firmly against my stomach, or he'll kick and scratch, *really* hard. Believe me, i have the scars and blood loss to prove it.

i dont like to pick scooter up but if i have to i do it different ways one is both hands on either side of his body and then lift and put him to my chest and hold him securly there. the other is done very rarely as he knows he can jump out of it i put one hand under belly and the other hand to scoop him bum up.

but he still wont let me handle him nothing i do works for him. and i dont know if im doing it wrong either. :(

one hand under chest one hand around bum, squeeze tight so she doesn't go over my shoulder and try to keep chin out the way to avoid getting nutted!!! I try to avoid picking Bella up as much as possible, if you have her firmly she is ok for a while but if she thinks she can get away she will thrash! Normally I dangle food in front of her nose to lead her to the shed :shock: :lol:

Back