• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter tray issues

Rachie

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Need some advice before they end up in a pot!

Recently moved house, rabbits have been home nearly two weeks. They have a litter tray in the kitchen which they do use but they seem to have a real thing about going wee wee on the hallway carpet - a mere 1.5meters away!

I've put another litter tray down there too but they're doing a really good job of peeing around it but not in it!

I need major help, I'm rapidly running out of kitchen roll and carpet cleaner!

Have you tried putting some soiled litter from the kitchen litter tray into the one in the hallway? I also heard that white vinegar is good at removing the smell of the wee on the carpets, I assumed that carpet cleaner would be ok but maybe try using this as well to disguise the smell? Unfortunately I get the feeling that they choose where the litter tray is and not us :roll:

Was just about to say white vinegar. If you mix it half and half with water in a spray bottle and spray it over the carpet where they are going it should be fine. That's what we did and he's not done it since :wave:

I'm of the opinion, its territorial marking. It's new, to them. I have one territorial bun (Ginger) and she occasionally wees on the carpet, to mark it. I'm sure its because its as close to grass as she gets lol.

As suggested, mask it with water/white vinegar (to be sure, 50:50) and see how you get on. :wave:

Thanks for the replies!

It's not that they won't use the litter tray in the hallway, they just seem really intent on peeing on the carpet! They're using the one in the kitchen too, as that is where their hay is.

I would move their litter tray into the hallway but I don't want the carpet to get destroyed with hay (although starting to think it's better than bunny pee).

I'll give the vinegar and water a go!

Over and over? I think they're just being norty? Lol x

Do they have access to that space all the time? Nutmeg will mark the landing over and over because I just can't give her access to it 24-7 as the door to the lops room is off it.

Over and over? I think they're just being norty? Lol x

If you dont clean it fully, they'll come back to it time and time again as they'll take it as a latrine.

If they dont think its marked enugh, they'll just keep coming back and back.

Back