• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female Rabbit spayed, awful smell

sheridan

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

Gizmo, my 6 month old female lop was spayed last wednesday. Everything went fine and apart from being drowzy, got her full appetite back within 2 days.
She was eating and pooping fine.
I have now noticed that her urine and poops smell really bad. I have to change her litter every 12 hrs because of the smell.

She is also passing a lot more of the moist poops (or maybe Im just noticing more) as well as her normal poops.

She is also pooping all over the place now, even though when she was hormonal she was completely litter trained. She even peed a bit on her carpet but when I told her off a lot, she got into her litter tray and finished off there.
Her overall behaviour hasnt changed. she is still as affectionate as before.

My question is should her urine and poops smell so much? Should she be passing a lot of the moist poops? and why is she now not litter trained.

Thanks loads

Hiya!! It sounds to me like shes not eating her poops.Due to medications and that, they probably taste nasty so she wont eat them for a while.
Is she drinking plenty and eating well....give the tummy time to settle.Shes had an invasive op...her tummy needs to sort itself out.I change my bunnies litter trays daily anyway.
Keep her clean and just check with the vet all is well.
xxx

Thanks Yvette,

She had a check up on Saturday and the vet said she was fine.
I have just let her out of her small hutch which she has been stuck in for a week to stop her from jumping about as the wound seems to have healed nicely.

She is eating well and drinking well. Im glad that the smell shoudlnt last forever!

Hi guys,

Gizmo, my 6 month old female lop was spayed last wednesday. Everything went fine and apart from being drowzy, got her full appetite back within 2 days.
She was eating and pooping fine.
I have now noticed that her urine and poops smell really bad. I have to change her litter every 12 hrs because of the smell.

She is also passing a lot more of the moist poops (or maybe Im just noticing more) as well as her normal poops.

She is also pooping all over the place now, even though when she was hormonal she was completely litter trained. She even peed a bit on her carpet but when I told her off a lot, she got into her litter tray and finished off there.Her overall behaviour hasnt changed. she is still as affectionate as before.

My question is should her urine and poops smell so much? Should she be passing a lot of the moist poops? and why is she now not litter trained.

Thanks loads

Please don't tell her off. She is probably a bit confused since her op and needs time to settle back down again.

I know I know, Im currently sitting here feeling bad that I told her off. She just looks at me like " Im so sad...."
I will go down and play with her to cheer her up a bit.
I think she is also just excited that she now has a large space to play in instead of sitting in the cramped hutch.
She just has a habit of binkying and jumping on stuff and I didnt want to risk anything happening

Back