• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just emailed the vets..... U/D - I have a reply!

clarebear

Mama Doe
with some questions about Bramble's nutering. He has an appointment there on Monday, but I was worried that I will totally forget to ask the questions! Wonder if they will email back?

Last edited:
I'll need to make up a list of questions for Spenser's Big Day soon. :shock: Have you got some distraction lined up for yourself while Bramble is being done?

My vets will reply to emails.

That way you get info of the vet when they have the time, rather than the receptionist. I just wouldn't email any urgent questions :)

Perhaps you could phone and say that you've sent an email with a few questions for when they have time to respond :)

I'll need to make up a list of questions for Spenser's Big Day soon. :shock: Have you got some distraction lined up for yourself while Bramble is being done?

I think I will write out my HUGE list and take it with me, that way I won't forget everything. Bit silly of me to email, as I am sure they are too busy to reply.

Susie - Hopefully my OH is off on Monday, so I will have company. Normally I would be here on my own, so will be nice that we can worry together!

Had a reply today!

The vets have emailed me back! Here is the email. What do you think?

Hi Clare,

Sorry it has taken me some time to get back to you but I had to locate all of the paper work for the rabbits in order to get you the figures.

In reply to your first question, the Royal College did a study and found that 1.3% of rabbit anaesthetics are fatal compared to 0.17% in dogs and 0.24% in cats. So rabbits are always at a higher risk.

However, on saying that we do numerous rabbit anaethetics for neutering and dentals approx 5-6 per month and we do not encounter many problems.

As far as aftercare is concerned we provide heat pads and wrapping throughout recovery as it is important to keep the animal warm. We do not allow the rabbit home until we are sure it is awake enough and we give discharge instructions for you to follow when at home. We always see the rabbit back for a check 3-5 days after surgery or sooner if you are worried.

I hope this answers your questions, may I suggest you look up the rabbit welfare society online, they have lots of good information.

Regards

Jenny

Do you think so? I'm so worried about it :(

I think it's a good reply because your vet has been honest - we can't get away from the fact that rabbits are always going to be more at risk. :( Also, they have given reassuring information about their own experience in performing GA on rabbits, and the after-care they provide sounds good. :)

Aww thanks Susie :wave: Is Spenser still going on Thursday?

Yes, like you I've very apprehensive. :( Spenser is also having dental xrays to see if we can get to the bottom of his increasingly fussy eating. :? I very much doubt Spenser's vet will see many rabbits, but I have been told that they take special care of small animals during and after GA.

Thank you all for your replies!

Susie- Bramble has had teeth issues in the past, maybe they will do some xrays on him too.

Thank you all for your replies!

Susie- Bramble has had teeth issues in the past, maybe they will do some xrays on him too.

If you have any doubts about his teeth maybe you should ask for x-rays - might as well get them done while he is under GA for the neuter. Have you got some distraction lined up for the day - I'm going to give Spenser's hutch a really good clean, weather-permitting. And the puppy crate will have to be made ready for him. :love:

Back