• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are you still covering up your buns at night?

clarebear

Mama Doe
We still cover Bramble's hutch and run every nite, is everyone else still doing this? It's a job to know when to stop. It's warmer, but not that warm!

:wave:

I cover up their hutch but leave their run uncovered if they are getting a little too warm.

No matter what temp, the 2 of them are zonked in the run! :lol:

mine are in a shed usually but i would still be covering up if they weren't.

we are still getting heavy frosts overnight and last week it was back down to -3 a couple of nights.

when mine were in a hutch i actually covered them everynight, all year round anyway. more to keep cats, foxes or anything else that might be about from upsetting them. :?

mine are in a shed usually but i would still be covering up if they weren't.

we are still getting heavy frosts overnight and last week it was back down to -3 a couple of nights.

when mine were in a hutch i actually covered them everynight, all year round anyway. more to keep cats, foxes or anything else that might be about from upsetting them. :?

Good thinking. We used to leave Bramble uncovered in the summer at our old house, but there are a few cats about here and he's not entirely used to them yet.

Yes my fosters are still 100% covered as we've had a few frosts this week but I'll think about removing one layer from next week to just leave tarpaulin :)

i always do it mine still have their snugsys, (snigglesafes) too!!! they will be uncovered when i know its not likely to rain and its warm, prob not till much sunnier days. x

Yes mine are well wrapped up, they've got an all weather hutch and run cover plus two snugglesafes.

I leave their flaps at the front of the hutch up if its going to be dry but if its going to rain i leave the clear flap down, and same with the run, if its defo going to be dry all day i'll take the run cover off, or fold it back so their hay is at least under cover, but if it looks iffy i just roll up one side flap to give them some air.

Yup mine are still being coverd! its a pain in the bum ha cannot wait untill i can take the covers off lol!! few months yet i think tho!

I've uncovered my buns now, my cover held in the damp (usueless cover lol). They love the cold anyway it seems so I'm happy for them to be uncovered for now unless the weather forecast suggests something bad.

Mine is a double hutch. I'm not covering up the top layer any more but it still has blankets and silver insulation on the top. I stopped covering them early feb. I do have a piece of plyboard covered with silver insulation held to the bottom layer of hutch with bungee cords though to keep that bit warm for them

Bramble only uses his hutch for his litter tray, he too spends all his time in his run!

Same here. When we had sub zero temperatures I'd get home from work gone midnight and find them sitting outside in the run. BUT, I do watch the weather in case it rains. The top of the run has a perspex lid-which I leave on (unless it's cleaning time). Perspex sides are removable and depend on the forecast.:D

When mine were in a hutch I used to cover them every night even in summer, just so if any foxes did prowl round they couldn't see them.

:wave: My girls hutch front isn't covered at night anymore, but as they have 24 hour access to their attached run, the run is covered incase of rain. It might not be 'warm' at night, but it's still a lot warmer than is was in December.
It won't be long before we're putting fly nets over hutches & runs :roll:

The girls are always in their shed at night, and a hutch within that. The top level of the hutch has a blind that comes down and they also have their sleeping compartment stuffed with hay. So no tarpaulins but they did get their snugglesafe back on Friday night when it went down to -1.

Kenco & Fay have a bigger indoor space so they have their shutters on, plus one tarpaulin over the front, and a snugglesafe still. Will probably leave the snugglesafe for the next few days as the night temps are set to remain mild, but there is forecast another chilly night this week, cant remember which day, so will give them the snugglesafe back again then. When the nights start to be consistently warmer I will stop putting the covers down and they will just have their shutters. I think its important they have that to protect from seeing foxes and vice versa as well.

Back