• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm worried, My bunny is getting fat. Plz help?

tgf-47

Young Bun
My bunny gets a cup of pellets every day which is normal. (Not a big cup, but relative to his size).

He is starting to become overweight very quickly and I'm worried that this will start to affect his health soon.

The only reason I can think of why he would be gaining so much weight is because he sits and eats hay all day long.

He has this infinite loop.

Sleep > Eat > Run around the house pooing everywhere hehe > eat some more > sleep.....

My bunny gets a cup of pellets every day which is normal. (Not a big cup, but relative to his size).

He is starting to become overweight very quickly and I'm worried that this will start to affect his health soon.

The only reason I can think of why he would be gaining so much weight is because he sits and eats hay all day long.

He has this infinite loop.

Sleep > Eat > Run around the house pooing everywhere hehe > eat some more > sleep.....

Hay doesn't cause weight gain. He should eat as much hay as possible to keep his gut and teeth in good order. Too many pellets/treats cause weight gain. He should have an eggcupful of pellets a day, with unlimited hay.

Eating hay all day is what your bunny SHOULD be doing, it is high in fibre and low in protein and calories which is IDEAL for a rabbit's digestive tract and metabolism.

What will be causing your bunny's weight gain most likely is the cup of pellets. Pelleted rabbit food is extremely calorific as designed for fur/meat/breeding trade to fatten buns up quickly. If he is a good hay eater and not suffering from any medical conditions where he is unable to maintain a healthy weight he only needs an eggcup full of pellets once per day or none at all. Any changes in diet must be made slowly so I would begin to reduce his pellet ration over the next few weeks and see how he gets on. :):wave:

I took my bun to the vet yesterday for his myxi jab and was told my bun is a little heavy-nothing much but try to reduce his pellets. Thing is he LOVES his pellets - he has unlimited hay and free range most of the day but only nibbles the grass - won't eat the hay. He has a bowl full of pellets every day - because he won't eat hay - do you think if he is hungry enough he will? Should I reduce them slowly then and see?

sorry for hijacking your thread - but as it about eth same thing thought I'd jump in rather than have 2 going.... xxx

I took my bun to the vet yesterday for his myxi jab and was told my bun is a little heavy-nothing much but try to reduce his pellets. Thing is he LOVES his pellets - he has unlimited hay and free range most of the day but only nibbles the grass - won't eat the hay. He has a bowl full of pellets every day - because he won't eat hay - do you think if he is hungry enough he will? Should I reduce them slowly then and see?

sorry for hijacking your thread - but as it about eth same thing thought I'd jump in rather than have 2 going.... xxx

Definately :wave:

Make sure its good quality hay too. Buns can be quite fussy about their hay, so if its good quality stuff, they might be more tempted to eat it. Drop their pellets slowly and see if it helps.

Not saying its perfect, but it works for my buns:

10 SS Pellets each, split into 2 feedings of 5. Unlimited hay, and a small handful of herbs at lunchtime. Both stable weights, with Ginger increasing slowly (she needs to).

Definately :wave:

Make sure its good quality hay too. Buns can be quite fussy about their hay, so if its good quality stuff, they might be more tempted to eat it. Drop their pellets slowly and see if it helps.

Not saying its perfect, but it works for my buns:

10 SS Pellets each, split into 2 feedings of 5. Unlimited hay, and a small handful of herbs at lunchtime. Both stable weights, with Ginger increasing slowly (she needs to).

Agree about hay - nothing better for them - but needs to be good quality hay, as you say. I give mine their pellets at night - eggcupful each. Also I feed big dish of greens (spring greens, herbs, bit of cabbage/sprouts) in the morning and a bit of, say, chopped celery and green pepper at night with their pellets.

Back