• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Basil has broken a tooth - URGENT

UrbanBunny

Warren Scout
I'm only posting here as after a quick check online there doesn't seem to be cause for an 'emergency' vet visit - although I am obviously prepared to go now if required.

Basil just jumped off the sofa and missed his landing and has managed to break a tooth. It looks like this - http://i53.tinypic.com/3311zqo.jpg

Horrific but there isn't any blood and aside from relatively gentle chewing his vital signs are ok. I have him on my bed to monitor and he is currently flopped out how he usually is, breathing normally.

Please can anyone recommend where to go from here? :cry:

Ouch! Poor baby. Is acting like he is in pain? Not moving, hunched up, chattering teeth? I would definately take him to your vet first thing in the morning but if you are worried about tonight then maybe call your vet for the emergency vet.

If his only symptom is the broken tooth then in the same situation I would just monitor. He might need a vet app to even them up at a later date though as they won't wear right until it regrows. Calling your vet for phone advise is a good suggestion too :thumb:

No he's stretched out with Hilary on my bed. He's chattering a little bit but it's more like running his tongue over his teeth than pain induced grinding?

BF has said they can stay in here tonight so I brought a litter tray with some hay in and he's having a chew of the hay (they're actually both quite lively since I brought the tray in...i think they know they're staying) so i'll leave the lamp on for a bit and watch him and if he's ok for the time being we'll go to the vet in the morning.

Sorry, I was VERY worried. :oops:

I agree, I'd take him in the morning unless he is acting in pain or refuses to eat.
I'd offer a bowl and a bottle of water too incase he finds one easier than the other, don't know if he has both anyway and don't know if it will actually make a difference! :wave:

Poor lad, bunnys can have some right silly accidents :(

Same problem

Hi, I was just about to put a question on here exactly the same.
Have just checked on our rabbits and seen that Lily has a small mark and bruise on one top lip, on closer inspection she has got one broken front tooth.
Will contact the vets, she had a dental only two weeks ago:?
Guess she will need some pain relief and will have to see if she is able to eat okay?
Any other advise?

If his only symptom is the broken tooth then in the same situation I would just monitor. He might need a vet app to even them up at a later date though as they won't wear right until it regrows. Calling your vet for phone advise is a good suggestion too :thumb:

We didn't end up going to the vet as he was fine the next morning and eating + pooing normally.

I checked his mouth again at about midday today and he appears to have broken the other tooth now. :roll: He is still eating fine and I suppose on the plus side they are now even. It appears to be the front that has broken off most. The actual root and bottom millimetres seem quite solid, particularly the back of the tooth.

Is it worth taking him to the vet this week, or would it be better to let the teeth grow out a little and take him then, as I would imagine there isn't an awful lot they can do (particularly as he's fine in otherwise)?

Thank you for the help so far!

Rabbits have four teeth at the top, two pairs one in front of the other so it's possible what you are seeing is the back set of teeth (peg teeth) which have been revealed now the front set have broken.

I would give your vet a call to discuss it, I don't think they will want to do anything until they grow a little longer but best to check. I do think it would be worth getting them checked at some point and just checking there isn't an underlying issues. The bottom teeth look slightly uneven but it's hard to tell as it could just be the angle. If there is anything that could have make the teeth weaker your vet can check.

Back