• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer runs/playpens

BetsandBob

Young Bun
Hey,

I am wondering where the best place to get a garden run from is (ok, that sounds like terrible English!:?), or is it best to make your own - my dad said he would but he was worried they would dig underneath and escape. xx

if the run is to be attached to the hutch/playhouse/shed, then what we did was to lay a patio down and turf over it.
the patio must be slightly bigger than the turfed area as this will stop foxes digging in/bunnies digging out.
Our runs have small doors big enough for me to crawl in through and the roof is removable being mesh with half covered in corrugated plastic as a dry area/shady area.
All the mesh used was a small gauge fox-proof mesh and the roof of the run and the doors have are padlocked at night. in addition the doors open/close with heavy bolts.
There is a space under the ramp whereby a bun could hide if scared too.

You will find the price of a bought run is slightly more than a made run but in addition the home-made run will suit your requirements exactly and probably be stronger.

I think my husband used 2ins square thick wood for the framework so the run is very heavy and difficult for anything to get underneath.

You can buy mesh online or from DiY stores-also from garden centres though they may be dearer. I think the run he made for my daughter cost about 50 pounds in materials.

sue:wave:

Of course, you can't leave them in a playpen/bunny pen outside without supervision; like your dad said, they could burrow under and escape the pen, or, be exposed to predators.
If you want to keep them outdoors, a hutch is probably the only way to go.
Pens are great for supervised outdoor play or even keeping them indoors. One of mine lives in an indoor pen and she is very happy with the space to move around. :)

A garden run though...? Hmm I don't know :?

i think it would be much sturdier if you could build one. then it could be to your own requirements aswell.

some people put mesh under the run, there is a certain depth for it to stop foxes digging under, but i can't remember what that is at the moment, sorry. :oops:

you could also do what someone else said and lay a paved run with turf over, or you could pave it and grow grass in trays and tubs and let them eat from those. you could have a constant supply growing then and swap and change them when needed.

nice of your dad to offer to build one :D

eta: to add, as someone else said, strong fox proof mesh and proper bolts on any lids and doors. :)

Thank you for all your help!

I think i might get my dad on the case.. i would love one with a removable roof so i can sit in there but an avery sounds amazing too!!

Youve all given me ideas! Thanks again! xx

Back