• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My family is bewildered by my bunny obsession!

whiskers

Warren Scout
When my Holland lop Aiden got sick it pretty much took up all our time and we had to get a credit card to pay his vet bills, even when the vet said he had about a 55% chance of survival. My family thinks I'm crazy for doing all this for a rabbit but I'm glad I did. He is recovered and is SUCH a sweetheart!! :love: It was more than worth it. Now to pay off the credit card :|

Anyway I am always learning about rabbits and talking about everything that mine do, and they're like, "But it's a rabbit!"

I guess you can't understand until you own one. :p

Everyone I know thinks I am mad, Twinkle has cost me over £1000 this last year with vets bills. It has all gone on the credit card and I do struggle with it but I have to try everything I can if an animal is not well to get them better as I would not forgive myself otherwise.

:lol::lol::lol:

I get this too! 'why are you paying £150 to heal a broken leg when another one would cost £25?' or 'what's the point in spending £90 having her speyed? You already spent £60 having Floppy neutered so it's not like they'll have babies'

I think you are either an animal person or you're not!

:wave: i get this all the time, like today. i got all excited because its bella's brthday,got her pressies etc and was talking about it at work.... and got laughed at :oops:
though my mum did come over with a card and some carrots for her :D

My bf and I used to get it but now people lay off. They have learn't that we love our bunnies too much to care anymore! :love: :lol:

I don't think my family know the full extent of my obsession, only my OH. I've hardly seen them this year but sooner or later they'll come round and see that I've turned a quarter of my lounge into a giant cage and that I've also got another rabbit (Roo) which I've not told them about yet. I can't wait to see their faces :lol:

unfortunately for some people these gorgeous little creatures are "just a rabbit"

to me they are an extension of my family, they are the children that are there for me everyday now that my own kids are growing up and going to school :love:

Nyxie was my first "real" pet (I grew up with dogs but they always bonded to my other family members) and she loves me more than the dogs do. I guess I am a "rabbit person"? I never felt this way about any animal. Nyxie is my baby!

My boyfriend jokes that I have become a rabbit :lol: We call Aiden and Nyxie "the kids."

Anyway, they have brought us so much joy and they have really made me and my bf so happy...:love: I haven't had Nyxie long (a month) but I know already she is a lifelong friend. It just changes your life, one of those things you just "know". She and Aiden will hopefully live long happy lives, and when I graduate college and beyond she (and Aiden) will still be with me.

fairy75 - I know what you mean! I don't think anyone would think I was crazy if I spent so much for a cat or dog, but they do for spending so much on a rabbit

Last edited:
When I lost my first bun last year, my neighbour couldnt understand how upset I was and just said "Well for a tenner you can get another to take its place"

And when my parents come over, my dad cant get over that Ive got "livestock" running around the house! (free-range house bun, Rolo)

I hate it when people treat the animals in their care as just that..animals. They should be considered part of the family.

Rach x

i agree that people think im mad spending so much on my rabbits and piggies, but to be fair they are my only real vice, i dont do designer wardrobe, i dont smoke, I only go out twice a year it seems, i dont do foreign holidays, so why not, if it keeps me content and keeps me busy, which they do, what harm am I doing :D

I know how you feel!! My family think i'm crazy, For even the smallest snuffle i have to get him checked out & i completely spoil my Chino and my mum just doesn't get it. Guess she's not a bunny person:shock::love::love:

I find it best just not to bring up the fact I own rabbits around people too often! They're often viewed as 'disposable' pets and there is no point bringing it up with, for example, people you work with knowing they're just going to spew a lot of BS that will annoy you.

When I lost my first bun last year, my neighbour couldnt understand how upset I was and just said "Well for a tenner you can get another to take its place"

And when my parents come over, my dad cant get over that Ive got "livestock" running around the house! (free-range house bun, Rolo)

I hate it when people treat the animals in their care as just that..animals. They should be considered part of the family.

Rach x

livestock? :x yeah when I told my mother I got a second bunny her first reaction was "you aren't getting any more are you?" No ma, 2 is enough :p

I think just about everyone here considers their buns as part of the family. :)

Back