• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie advice

Barbara

New Kit
Hi I'm new to the forum and could do with a little advice please. I have a one year old male orange rex and would like a friend for him, problem is I have a great dane, the dane and the rabbit love each other no problems there, but I was wondering if it's possible to put a baby rabbit in with my adult as my dane won't take to an adult rabbit.

Why would the dog not take to an adult rabbit? Do you know for certain? Also its not a simple as putting one rabbit in with another. Use the search function and research bonding through the threads on the forum before trying another rabbit with you rex. Please read up first or you could end up with injured bunnies and costly vet trips. :wave:

I know my dog and he will not like a big rabbit although he would mother a baby. I know it can be difficult introducing rabbits I just wanted to know if it's possible for an adult to except a baby.

I think it can be done but it is more difficult and the adult will not be as likely to accept the baby (I could be wrong), plus you will have to think about neutering them. If you are going to get another one then your best bet would be to get a female. However, you will need to get your male castrated (if not already) for at least 4-6 weeks before you introduce them to each other otherwise you will end up with babies and a lot of humping.

It might be a good idea to speak to your local animal rescue to see if they have any young girls available as they will usually vaccinate them and spey them before they go to a new home.

My male has been castrated, he's a house rabbit but goes out in the garden when he wants to, you can see why it would be better with a young rabbit as I would not like the new one being scared of the dog either, my rabbit loves my dog but is terrified of other dogs.

My male has been castrated, he's a house rabbit but goes out in the garden when he wants to, you can see why it would be better with a young rabbit as I would not like the new one being scared of the dog either, my rabbit loves my dog but is terrified of other dogs.

Do you mean you let your dog and rabbit out at the same time?

ive had rabbits that i just put together and they were fine, no fighting or anything. on the other hand ive had another 2 that i put together and they fought (before RU).

i would advise a female rabbit as your male is more likely to accept her than a male.

maybe get a puppy pen and settle the lil one on there and see how they react to each other?

Yes my dog and rabbit live together, the rabbit sits on the sofa with the dog and they lick each other. I know what some people might say but there is no chance on this earth my dog would harm the rabbit they even share carrots, the dog at one end an rabbit on the other.

ive had rabbits that i just put together and they were fine, no fighting or anything. on the other hand ive had another 2 that i put together and they fought (before RU).

i would advise a female rabbit as your male is more likely to accept her than a male.

maybe get a puppy pen and settle the lil one on there and see how they react to each other?

I wouldn't advise this at all. Bonding can be tricky and dangerous if not handled properly. If you start off 'on the wrong foot' it may mean that the bonding will never work. We have some real 'bonding experts' on here and I would advise the OP to read through the Bonding threads to see how a successful bond can (hopefully) be achieved.

When I eventually get another rabbit I was going to keep them in separate cages and introduce them in a spare room and try taking them out in the car, I won't be putting them straight in together.

Back