• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teenage lionhead noises?

pancakes!

New Kit
Hi all, first post on here.
signed up on behalf of my girlfriend and the newest love of her life Pancakes.
She is a lion head who has just recently started into her "TEENAGE" phase which has showed a change in her personallity obviosuly but she is still very active and seems happy but...
Over the last day or so she is making a kind of murmer/almost buzzy noise whilst she hopps around? it doesnt seem to bother her at all and she is eating fine (although her pooing habbits seem to have gone from one corner of her cage to everywhere in the flat)
my girlfriend is worried about the noises, does anyone have any advise or seen this brfore?
Thanks in advance
Tony

hi

Hi there, Im sure there are lots more knowledgeable people than me so I wont pretend to know exactly whats going on. But I know my female rabbit makes grunting noises when she is happy and being inquisitive. She does it wen she is running around crazily and nudging things over. Have you thought about having her spayed - the pooing all over the flat can be to do with the hormone changes and once she is spayed they are calmer and easier to train. Spaying is a big operation though as I have recently discovered and can be quite stressful although very beneficial in the long run.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah she is going to be spayed but the vet advised waiting utill she is 6months, thats only 6weeks of arm humping and feet circling to go

Sounds like she is happy :) Either that or its her hormones :lol: Getting her spayed will calm her down and should help with her toileting :)

It's hormones... are you sure she is a girl? Girls get the hormones too and go a bit crazy till they're spayed, but I think its more common for males to do the circling, buzzing and humping thing.

The circling and buzzing is like bunny courtship, shes sexually frustrated :lol:

Sounds like her hormones have kicked in, Im not sure if the vet will agree but it might be worth asking if s/he will speyed Pancakes now seeing as the hormones have started :lol: I had 1 day of hormones before my male was neutered and it drove me CRAZY!

thanks for all the advice,
Yeah she is definatley a girl. she had the vet confirm it when she was in for injections.
Thanks again
T

Hi. I'm not sure of the cause, but my lionhead Poppy has started making grunting noises. She was spayed about six months ago, and only recently started making noises when I have gone to stroke her when she is in her indoor cage. She is not a scaredy bunny, and is fine when she is out of her cage, so was only a bit concerned. However, the vet saw her on Sunday when she went for her myxi jab, and vet couldn't see any problems at all. I think mine might be doing it to be territorial or protective of her mate Pebbles.

Hi. I'm not sure of the cause, but my lionhead Poppy has started making grunting noises. She was spayed about six months ago, and only recently started making noises when I have gone to stroke her when she is in her indoor cage. She is not a scaredy bunny, and is fine when she is out of her cage, so was only a bit concerned. However, the vet saw her on Sunday when she went for her myxi jab, and vet couldn't see any problems at all. I think mine might be doing it to be territorial or protective of her mate Pebbles.

She is being cage-protective, some rabbits are like this even after neutering. She is warning you that this is her cage and to back off. I would try and interact with her just out of the cage :)

Back