• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding routines confusion

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Ive been lurking and reading a lot of posts about different feeding routines and Im worried maybe Im doing it wrong. Buzzby seems to gain weight very easily, so he has only enough pellets to barely cover the bottom of a small metal bowl (I tried ceramic ones, he flips them, I figured its safer he flips a metal one). He gets these when he goes to bed in the evening. I feel really bad that he has so few, but its about right to maintain his weight. Some people on here split food morning and night, but if I did that he would probably only have a few pellets and his little face gets really disappointed. Also, people are giving tonnes of hay throughout the day, but I only put some in morning and night (he currently has home grown hay, some thick stalk greenish hay and some thin stalk golden hay). He usually nibbles the odd bit during the day but is too busy to eat much, and then stuffs his face at night. He then only gets a little herbs/treat veggies mid morning when he's finished doing wall of death round the patio. He has fresh apple twigs about 3 times a week which he demolishes gladly. Obviously he gets fresh water about 3 times a day because I know I hate the taste of the water here after a couple of hours, must be the same for him.

So, am I doing it wrong? Should I be feeding him differently to keep his tummy happy? His teeth are all looking good (back havent been checked for 6 months, due his jabs and checkups again now) so he hasnt got any specific requirements other than weight maintenance.

I only give hay morning and night too but I give a lot. I'd be a bit concerned if he wasn't eating throughout the day and might fill up a bit more often, he may prefer his hay fresh. I often catch sight of mine in the trays during the day although they do spend a lot of time lazing as the middle of the day is naturally a slower time for rabbits.

my pair sleep all day so no amount of hay stocking will make them move :lol: i only fill hay 3 times per day myself and my pair arent lucky enough to get so many water changes.

your routine suits your bun so theres no problem, if your vet is happy with your littleuns health your doing it right :wave:

He doesnt seem to relax all day, possibly because he's an only bun? He spends time madly running up and down the patio and into the kitchen to get peoples attention for noserubs, then runs back out like a madman. He just stops to wee and poo and have a nibble then he's off. He's only about 6 (assuming the rescue was about right with the age) so still full of energy. He possibly eats more in winter than summer, summer he spends a few hours on the lawn in the evenings and noms on grass instead. I do give him a few handfulls of grass over the course of the day aswell would that maybe be reducing his hay intake? Is that bad and should I stop the grass?

ETA: if you tasted the water here you'd know why I change it so much, plus the guineas prefer bowls so theirs probably gets changed at least every other hour from 6am to 11pm because they like to dunk the hay.

vets always tell me off for not giving grass :oops: so i think grass is best for them, its what they was designed to eat :D

now i have a garden ill be giving grass daily in the summer :love:

TBH it sounds ideal. He's not spending all day not eating if he's grazing on grass. :thumb:

Back