• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where and what ... (hay advice)

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
... hay do you get?

My dad has said he'll get me a bale for £3.50 from his mate who has a small holding - it's as a favour. His mate did ask me if it was bedding or eating hay but do you think this will be good enough?

I normally get bags of timmothy hay - £2.85 a bag - and they go nuts for it - we've tried all sorts in the past though and this one by far has been a fave - i buy 4-5 bags a time and they last about a month. I never leave it so that i have less than a bag though but i'm pretty low at the moment seeing as my dad was supposed the bring the hay last week and still hasnt! :roll: I've about 2 days worth so will nip out later and get a couple of bags in case they dont like the bale.

Am i just being snobby though - i think because it's sooo cheap, they wont like it :oops: Is it ok to just feed them baled hay?

Is it ok to just feed them baled hay?

Yes. :thumb:

As long as the bale looks nice and fresh - not funny-smelling or damp etc then it's perfectly fine. I'm sure that pet shops probably buy hay by the bale and then bag it up to sell on for profit anyway. ;)

Alfie and Bubbles only ever have baled hay and they love it. I'm lucky that I can get timothy hay bales too, so they have a choice between that and meadow hay.

I spend a fortune on hay and whilst talking to my vet a fortnight ago about different types of hay she said the best standard hay that she has found is some that she buys by the bale. I really need to ask where as I could save a fortune and know I'm giving them good hay at the same time.

So, I'd definitely go for a bale of hay if I can find the right source for it.

I normally get a 9.8kg bag of meadow hay from hay for pets. The bunnies go mad for it, but if I could find somewhere that did bales I'd much rather have that:)

My bunnies main hay is all baled hay and then they sometimes get a handful of treat hay (timothy or oat, wheat and barley). They go just as mad for the baled hay as they do the treat hay, in fact I'd go so far as to say I think they prefer the baled hay!

Thats a relief! I thought i'd be lumbered with duff hay.

I'm going to have to break it up and store it in the cupboard under the stairs. Hope my house will smell of fresh hay! :lol::lol::lol:

Where do you get your Timothy hay from? I currently pay £9 for a bag, it's very nice stuff, lovely and green but with 2 rabbits now it's working out quite expensive. I have some Ings hay from Hay for pets which they love, so I'm now giving this as their main hay and the Timothy as one handful of treat hay per day.

... hay do you get?

My dad has said he'll get me a bale for £3.50 from his mate who has a small holding - it's as a favour. His mate did ask me if it was bedding or eating hay but do you think this will be good enough?

I normally get bags of timmothy hay - £2.85 a bag - and they go nuts for it - we've tried all sorts in the past though and this one by far has been a fave - i buy 4-5 bags a time and they last about a month. I never leave it so that i have less than a bag though but i'm pretty low at the moment seeing as my dad was supposed the bring the hay last week and still hasnt! :roll: I've about 2 days worth so will nip out later and get a couple of bags in case they dont like the bale.

Am i just being snobby though - i think because it's sooo cheap, they wont like it :oops: Is it ok to just feed them baled hay?

I've got 22 bunnies....no way could I afford to buy bagged hay for them ,they have baled hay and eat loads of it ,I pay £3 a bale and buy 10 at a time.

They get bagged hay as a treat every now and then .

piggies and esme will eat baled hay but it gives eric the runs-he needs really dry looking stalky stuff with a mixture of treat hays on top (they all get these).

i'm using bagged hay at the moment as i need to have a good tidy in the garden to create a better storage area for a bale.

i get baled hay now too :wave:

ive so far got it from two different places, one was browner and stalkier which i think the buns slightly preferred, this one is more like pure pastures meadow hay but dustier. they don't care, it all gets scoffed cus they are huge hay fans :lol: i still buy a bag of the posh stuff which lasts ages and they lurve it

Baled Hay is fine. I pay £3 a bale for my horse and usually bring it home and when I need it.
My friend works in a local pet store and spends ages bagging hay up to sell at @3 a bag... from a bale.. What a mark up!!!

The hay was amazing and did nearly 7 bin bags :shock:

They quality is fantastic - the buns are both all over it so they had extra helpings today! :D

The hay was amazing and did nearly 7 bin bags :shock:

They quality is fantastic - the buns are both all over it so they had extra helpings today! :D

Brilliant news. I've found an advert for baled hay for £3.50 as well, locally, I'm just getting storage sorted out then I shall give it a go. Hopefully will save a shed load of money and have happy bunnies :D

I think it should be fine as long as it is not brown and dusty. That just me though because I hate brown hay and my buns cant have dusty hay (see allergies??? to see why) and plz reply to me on Allergies 16 veiws and no replies :cry:

I think it should be fine as long as it is not brown and dusty. That just me though because I hate brown hay and my buns cant have dusty hay (see allergies??? to see why) and plz reply to me on Allergies 16 veiws and no replies :cry:

Allergies?? I will look soon - but it wasnt dusty and it was green and sooo frsh smelling with dandelions in and stuff. They love it!! :D

Where do you get your Timothy hay from? I currently pay £9 for a bag, it's very nice stuff, lovely and green but with 2 rabbits now it's working out quite expensive. I have some Ings hay from Hay for pets which they love, so I'm now giving this as their main hay and the Timothy as one handful of treat hay per day.

hay for pets also do timothy hay. It's £1 less than the ings in the small and large bags.

Back