• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back leg problem

KathyAnn

New Kit
Hello,

I've noticed that my bunny Penny (she's 3 years old and a mini rex) might be having a problem with her back left leg. I think that she not completely putting the front part of her foot down, it seems just slightly raised off the ground, where as her right foot is flat on the ground. It's almost like she is leaning back on her heel.

I also think that her left leg is slightly sticking out more that her right leg. Both when she is sitting down and when she is hopping about.

Plus in the past day or so, sometimes when she has just finished grooming her left foot, she leaves it sticking out straight on the floor for a minute.

She seems to be happy in her self, running around and rolling over alot.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thank you.

:wave: Of course I'll say Penny might have a potential real problem, such as a hairline fracture or sprain. It doesn't sound like a full on break. Nevertheless arranging a vet visit would be the safest thing to do. Hairline fractures and sprains are painful; have you seen her wincing or heard her make a squeeky/loud tooth-grinding sound? An x-ray is the safest way to go, in any case.

Thank you for your quick reply.

No I haven't noticed her wincing.
She only very softly grinds her teeth when I'm giving her a cuddle and I know that means she is happy :)
I haven't seen her doing any loud tooth-grinding.

I will arrange an appointment at the vets.

Back