• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crusting around his eyes

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone, my bunny Buddy has probem with his eyes since the day i got him. The vet says that he doesnt have a tear canal!!!!!!! basically the tube from his eyes to his nose does not exist and he constantly cries. Which i clear every day 2 to 3 times a day. The last day or so i have noticed that where his tears settle he has a powdery crust. It sticks to his fur and skin. Washing his eyes does not get rid of it and it looks hard to get rid off. does anyone have any ideas. I am going the vets with him on wednesday anyway for his check up but just wanted some advice so to keep him comfortable and i am not wanting this crusty stuff to tangle his fur.

OOh just nearly had a shock- i thought that was mixi symptoms, but it seems not. Hope you get it sorted. I can't get rid of the tears from some of the dental buns i have.

I hate it, he always looks sad and he is really good when bathing his eyes. do your have have it going sticky on their fur. buddy has once but never again.

Buddy loves the sun and will stay there nearly all day. He is awful in winter and sometimes stops eating, he is fuss anyway but becomes more fussy without his sun. Mumreckons he suffers from S.A.D

Check out this link, from the House Rabbit Society:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

If this crust is recent and unusual he might have a bacterial infection (source: above website :p ) The information is from the foremost society for pet rabbits; reliable as always.

This was helpful, will caryy on with bathing his eyes tomorrow, he is very tollerant with my brushing him. but it is this powdery stuff that gets me. it is crusty at first and then when you brush it, it goes powdery and if you leave it, it goes sticky. its horrid.

Back