• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating from the same bowl.. Does this cause a fight?

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I was giving Jack and Lucky pellets, they both stuck their heads in the bowl together.
Everything was so fast, it looked like they were going to start chasing then fight, I quickly clapped my hands, so they'd get distracted. :?

Usually I think bonded buns are fine to eat together, my two always do. Might be an idea to put two bowls in to make sure they are both eating and one doesn't stop the other from eating?? Have they done this before?

Usually I think bonded buns are fine to eat together, my two always do. Might be an idea to put two bowls in to make sure they are both eating and one doesn't stop the other from eating?? Have they done this before?

I'll do this from now on.

I tend to scatter feed their food round their home so it takes them longer to eat it and no one can be chased away.

I tend to scatter feed their food round their home so it takes them longer to eat it and no one can be chased away.

This is what I would suggest. Bunnies would forage naturally anyway so by scattering the food the rabbits are not fighting to get their noses in the bowl and it occupys them for a while too.

I do this as well,
After I place food in the bowl I scatter food on the other side so the other bun can eat as well.
But today they were faster than and went for the same bowl.

Ginger and Pickles shared a bowl for 7 years, and they never ever fought. They were littermates though if that makes a difference. Maybe you could scatter feed? It'd be good enrichment for them anyway.

Yea they're fine,:wave:
The weather is nice today but I still can't let them out. :(
Have to wait until the end of March to let them out..

my three have two bowls between them. The girls share one and Eli eats from his own because his head takes up the whole bowl.

Sadly scatter feeding causes Nutmeg and Smudge to chase and scrap. The best thing I find with them is handfeeding though I have to do it cos if you flinch Nutmeg will lunge at you. I understand this but my Mum doesn't and she feeds them in the morning so that their morning pellets are always at the same time. So Mum puts the pellets in their bowl which is very shallow and the size of a dinner plate so they can easily eat at it.

They haven't fought or scuffled since they've been back that's a great sign of bonding.
I let them out in the garden yesterday, they were following each other a lot I got a bit jumpy and put them back inside.
They never did anything, I just thought something would escalate.
Well at least now they've both discovered the garden, and next time (End of March) when I let them out they will be familiar with the smell and everything and everything will be fine :shock:

Sadly scatter feeding causes Nutmeg and Smudge to chase and scrap. The best thing I find with them is handfeeding though I have to do it cos if you flinch Nutmeg will lunge at you. I understand this but my Mum doesn't and she feeds them in the morning so that their morning pellets are always at the same time. So Mum puts the pellets in their bowl which is very shallow and the size of a dinner plate so they can easily eat at it.

Yes, I've tried to scatter feed, but causes arguments with my 3, so they all have separate bowls and I act as referee.:)

I tend to put 2 bowls down, one with pellets and one with veggies and make sure I see them eating from each -they will share but if I put just one dish down, Lucky will jump on Dausys head to get in there! :lol:

Back