• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My foster bunny.

pennypoos

Mama Doe
I have the most beautifull foster bunny, who i named florrie. I`v been looking after her for a good few months now. When she first came to stay with me, she would hide away and if anyone walked past her hutch she would run away in fright. She was so timid and scared all the time. Now florrie will take food from my hand, she lets me rub her nose and behind her ears and she will also come to the front of the hutch to say hello when i go to feed her. The problem is i want to keep her :| I know the lady that runs the rescue where florrie is from would let me keep her if i asked, but i just can`t afford another rabbit. I currently have 4 rabbits of my own aswell as 2 guineapigs and a hamster. I realy couldn`t afford to take another bunny on and if i did i would have to get her a friend which means i would then have 6 rabbits :shock: I realy love the lil lady and she have come on so well since i`v been looking after her. I`m rubbish at fostering. I ended up keeping my last foster bunny aswell :lol: I guess fostering just isn`t for me :(. I`m too soft and get attached to the cute little fur balls too easily :oops:
No point to this realy thread realy, just wanted to share how i fell :oops:

The way I look at it is, if I keep any then I am denying another bunny the chance of a happy home. I also know, because the rescue does home checks, the buns will only go where they are well looked after.

Going to be hard with Oliver though I have done lots of rehab with him.:lol:

Dont worry I'm rubbish at fostering too. Is a trio not possible???

I don`t think a trio would work with kenny and tinker. When i let florrie out for free range kenny and tinker both start to fight and i have to cover their hutch up untill i have put florrie away. And george and misty have a very lovely close bond, i wouldn`t want to risk breaking the bond by adding another bun :)

aliduncan1 The way I look at it is, if I keep any then I am denying another bunny the chance of a happy home. I also know, because the rescue does home checks, the buns will only go where they are well looked after.

Going to be hard with Oliver though I have done lots of rehab with him.

I know she will go to a good home in the end :) it`s just i`v spent so much time with her and she has come such a long way while she has been with me, i realy do think alot of her and she`s such a pretty little thing, it`s hard not to fall for her :oops:
I do love fostering though and i do find it very rewarding, especially when a once timid bunny will take food from your hand and let you give nose rubs :love:

I've been thinking about fostering and I'd love to do it, although i can't right now. I do think I'd find it hard at times because to care for them does require an element of bonding and it must be very hard to say goodbye even though you know they will go to a good home. You wouldn't be human if you didn't fall for any of the buns you looked after. I hope you find the strength to say goodbye :)

My daughter, bunlover, still keeps in touch with the lady who fostered her bunny.
bunlover sends her updates and photos and the lady has called to see her foster bunny once too.:) so she knows she has a good home.
Perhaps you could write a letter to the new owners with your name and address/email/telephone number and saying about the bunny's personality etc and how you would love any updates- that's what the lady who fostered bunlover's bunny did and how she kept contact with her.
sue:wave:

I've been thinking about fostering and I'd love to do it, although i can't right now. I do think I'd find it hard at times because to care for them does require an element of bonding and it must be very hard to say goodbye even though you know they will go to a good home. You wouldn't be human if you didn't fall for any of the buns you looked after. I hope you find the strength to say goodbye :)

If you ever get the chance to be a bunny fosterer, then i say go for it :). I realy enjoy it and it`s so rewarding :D.
I know that one day i`ll have to say goodbye to florrie and i know that she will be happy when she does find a new home, especially when she goes to a forever home where she gets to be bonded to another bun.
On the plus side though, i get to give my time to another bunny that needs me.

My daughter, bunlover, still keeps in touch with the lady who fostered her bunny.
bunlover sends her updates and photos and the lady has called to see her foster bunny once too.:) so she knows she has a good home.
Perhaps you could write a letter to the new owners with your name and address/email/telephone number and saying about the bunny's personality etc and how you would love any updates- that's what the lady who fostered bunlover's bunny did and how she kept contact with her.

Thats a lovely idea :love:
I would love to have updates on florrie when she eventually goes to a new home. :D

That is so nice! It would be lovely to know how the rabbits are settling into their new home and be able to share some knowledge of them with their new owner. I do love fostering, Oliver has undergone a huge transformation from a sad, depressed, matted and not eating bunny to become one who will eat everything in sight, played with the sleeve of my coat today for 15 minutes and had the worst of his fur shaved under anaesthetic so I can now keep his long coat in great condition. It is a great process to be part of and I will find it hard to let him go. The rescue have a home lined up for him once I feel we have resolved all of his health and social issues.

That is so nice! It would be lovely to know how the rabbits are settling into their new home and be able to share some knowledge of them with their new owner. I do love fostering, Oliver has undergone a huge transformation from a sad, depressed, matted and not eating bunny to become one who will eat everything in sight, played with the sleeve of my coat today for 15 minutes and had the worst of his fur shaved under anaesthetic so I can now keep his long coat in great condition. It is a great process to be part of and I will find it hard to let him go. The rescue have a home lined up for him once I feel we have resolved all of his health and social issues.

Thats lovely news :D I hope his issues carry on improving so that he gets to go to his new home soon. It`s a lovely feeling knowing that you have had a positive affect on a bunny isn`t it :D
Will you be taking another foster bun in once Oliver has gone to his new home ? :wave:

[/B]

Thats lovely news :D I hope his issues carry on improving so that he gets to go to his new home soon. It`s a lovely feeling knowing that you have had a positive affect on a bunny isn`t it :D
Will you be taking another foster bun in once Oliver has gone to his new home ? :wave:

Yes, the rescue have a waiting list for rabbits who need new homes so there will always be another waiting to take his place:(. My 3 kids and I are enjoying having them, when we have to say goodbye they are so excited that the rabbit is off to their forever home! I ask my 3yo daughter 'Is Oliver our bunny to stay here forever?' and she says, 'No mummy, he's going to get a new home silly!'. :lol::lol:

If it were Floppy or Millie leaving then there would be a flood of tears but because we make a difference between our own buns and the foster buns they are all ok with it.

I have just bought a new 6ft hutch so that I will have space fo two foster buns or two foster pairs outside in the summer. First though, I am hoping to adopt one more myself - are you familiar with Starfish? - so it will be her temporary accommodation until I can hopefully bond her with my pair!:D

Will you take on more?

Back