• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flys! Worried...

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I've just agreed to get a 10x12 shed built on some of the land here, but in the meantime, some of the six foot hutches i'm worried about. There are flys getting in at the tops- in the gaps. Do i need to bin the hutches and go with someone else get something better quality. I don't think it's going to get better in the summer. Im shocked to see flys in march near the bunnys hutches. The crevices seem to be attracting them, which is where i struggle to clean as the gaps are so narrow.

There must be something attracting the flys in the gaps. Can you jet-wash the areas with disinfectant - take the buns out first though :) To be honest, if it was me, I'd burn the hutches and start again. Also, make sure your buns have lots of fresh hay and access to grass to keep their bottoms clear and reduce the risk of upset tummies which attract flies. Hope this helps, I'm sure someone with a bit more info will be along shortly. :wave:

I've recently been using a steam wallpaper stripper by taking the flat end off and just using the nozzle.

The stream gets into any crevices and does a really good job of keeping everything smelling fresh. Best of all it evaporates and hardly leaves any dampness to dry up, which I always find a bit of a problem if I clean with a cloth and water.

:wave:

Maybe you could try spraying the crevices you can't reach with white vinegar? (unless that attracts flies?)

Theres always flies around here, we even had them in the house in December this year :shock: , and I've never had a problem with flystrike *knocks on wood* so as long as the hutches are kept clean and the buns don't have sticky poop I think you'll be fine :)

Thanks as it's a horse yard there are horse flys everywhere at this time of year. It's a farm so it's inevitable to some degree. The flys are coming through the cracks, not where it is hard to get dirt out down the crevices, but through the cracks at the top where the manufacture is poor.

I was upset with these hutches initially. I knew they would be the perfect nesting ground for flys in the summer, as with rabbits peeing and it going over the lino, down the edges into the crevices, even though i used a knife to get the droppings out of the edges where they roll over, the urine is only wipe clean and i do spray clean and safe disinfectant too.

There were not many flys, but enough to immediately alert my concern- to me it's march- so if this is an issue now, i'll be lost in the summer with this problem and i don't want to have buns in these hutches if they are unsuitable. I killed the flys with disinfectant and a sponge, ( felt bad about that), but bunny's come first- Buddhist principles can come later.

Even if i taped them up or relinoed, what i'm worried about is flys finding it a perfect dark spot for nesting under.

I have a steam bathroom cleaner- could i use this?

The buns have loads and loads of hay. I'll reduce pellet intake over the summer now- i do have it up in winter because i don't want them to lose condition.

I'm still worried that flys will nest regardless of cleanliness as it's an ideally tight spot for them to go into and if wet, good conditions, which is unavoidable as the urine drains off, so at some points the crevices will be dirty as i can't clean them 24/7. I do the buns daily and this is still a problem. I am going to start doing everything twice daily and going round with the knife round the edges.

I'm rubbish at DIY- really really bad- i'm struggling to figure out what to do to fix the problem- it's possible wood down the edges may help- or relinoing over the top and nailing down. I could do the last one , but i'd be stuck with the first, as i don't know what I'm doing.

Thankyou for the suggestions xxx

Could you get some mosquito nets or something to cover the hutches? Or at least to cover the gaps.

Could you get some mosquito nets or something to cover the hutches? Or at least to cover the gaps.

That would work- would have to cover the entire hutch down to the ground to stop them getting in. Do you know where i can get any large ones enough to cover a 6x2x2 triple hutch ?

Thankyou xxx

That would work- would have to cover the entire hutch down to the ground to stop them getting in. Do you know where i can get any large ones enough to cover a 6x2x2 triple hutch ?

Thankyou xxx

I imagine as you are going to need a few it would be best to contact a small company and make a deal with them to buy a few, possibly custom made.

eta: or would this be big enough? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9280546.htm

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the fly screen too. Ebay or lidl/aldi have them in this time of year.

If you want 1 large piece you would need to buy off internet (I got some for my dog kennel).

However, you also need to make sure that you do not trap flies in the hutch.

Also, they might be seeking refuge now whilst the temps are fluctuating and they might not be interested in getting in any crevices as the weather warms up? Im no expert on flies in general, but just a thought as I come across issues like cluster flies in peoples lofts as part of my job which are mainly a problem in spring and autumn due to their behaviour? I know its prob not cluster flies in the hutches but worth a thought :)

I bought some fly net off ebay last year, they did it by the meter so I could have a piece any size I needed. It also cut easy with scissors no fraying.

Back