• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella's Pot Belly

Roseberry

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone. My 14 week old bunny Bella has a kinda swollen belly. It doesnt really show up in pictures but feels a lot bulgier than the tummies of my boys. She is my first doe so am not sure if they are generally tubbier? Otherwise she seems fine. Is this normal for young bunnies?

Someone cleverer than me will be along soon! Some bunnies are naturally fatter. My doe, Biscuit, is a right porky pig! So long as her tummy hasn't become bloated: has it come on all of a sudden or is she just rotund?

Its been gradual. It just feels like there is more in there than the boys :s She doesnt seem to mind me feeling around and massaging it. I cant feel anything odd but I really have no idea what to feel for !

I did wonder at first but I have had her over a month and its been like that at least 2 weeks and doesnt seem to have got noticably bigger. Wouldnt it be in the lower half of her tummy if she was? Its more in the upper half.

I didnt think she was old enough anyway? Since Ive had her she has only been spending time with my Flopsy, who is neutered.

I agree with the suggestion that a course of worming wouldn't hurt. I'm sure I read somewhere they can make the belly swell. :?

Perhaps..

14 Weeks may mean she is only just sexually mature - it does happen quite young for them? (perhaps I am totally wrong but sure I read this somewhere) so she could be pregnant? They gestate for approx 31 days so if its only been two weeks perhaps the best thing to do would be to have her checked over?:);)

Back