• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foster rabbit help please!!!

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
I currently have a three year old foster rabbit who has only ever been fed on cheap rabbit mix. Nothing else at all. I am having real trouble persuading him to eat pellets or hay. The only success I have had is moving him onto Rabbit Royale because I feel it is better than the one he was uses to.n at least he eats it all and is not selective!

As far as hay goes, he will pick it up, nibble a strand till it breaks in two and then drop it. I have tried toilet roll tubes, mixing his mix through it, putting handful on top of the cage so he can pull it down through the bars and leaving loads in his litter tray.

I have managed to last 24 hours with giving him no other food, but was worried because he went on hunger strike and stopped producing droppings.

If anyone can give me more ideas to try I'll be really happy.

try excel (burgess) herbs. If he likes them which I'd be surprised if he doesn't, I'd mix if with the hay. It's what I have to do with my rabbits on a daily basis just so they finish the hay instead of using it as a second toilet. I'm guessing the smell from the herbs rubs of on the hay bmaking it more appealing. Good luck!

oh no - I know how hard it is...I dont know what else to suggest - Ive been able to have a bale of hay where Ive kept Archie - also not a very good hay eater & he now eats abit...because he made his own tunnel through the hay bale...I think it helped as it was a project and he had to chew to make his tunnel...and now he does nibble abit - slow progress but getting there......perhaps on a smaller scale you could put a bale wedge - which is tightly packed into a box and he may want to make a tunnel too...?

Ive also found he just leaves the food I want him to eat...its so frustrating and a waste too.:?

Otherwise try different types of hay?
Perhaps this INGs hay that all have been raving about? You can get a sample pack for £3 of 3 different types of hay...;)
Sorry - dont have any other suggestions...

I'm not the best person to advise so hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help. Only thing I can suggest doing is trying lots of different hays, I know my buns prefer some types to others so maybe see if one of them takes his fancy? You can get samples from the hay experts and hay for pets. You may have tried this but you could try picking out some bits of the mixed food (the worst bits) and adding in some of the rabbit royal bit by bit not sure if this will work? At least it means he's eating something.

He will eat the rabbit royale happily but I am worried about him not eating hay. The vet said his molars are not well aligned and I need to get him to eat hay. I have tried around 4 different types as well as the dried flowers/dandelions/parsley from zoo plus. I will get some excel types to try as well the send off for other things to try.

I also got some province to try and make sure his gut is healthy but he won't eat it either!!

Back