• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found a 'Rodent bait box'- PLEASE HELP!!

rachylou

Warren Veteran
In our new flat, it was in one of the bathroom cupboards which I was yet to investigate. Jimby and Cookie have not entered the bathroom at all so I know they have not come in to contact with it directly.
However and I know this is going to make me sound completly crazy...
My OCD is in complete overdrive and I need some reasurance that everything is going to be ok now...

My husband removed the bait box like so...

Wearing one marigold glove he picked up the bait box using the gloved hand and a plastic bag, he picked it up as if picking up dog poo then using his ungloved hand he pulled the bag up over the back of the bait box.
Then he pulled the bag together with his gloved hand, I then asked him to put his glove in the bag with the box so he removed the glove, put it in the bag and then did the bag up with both hands, he then walked from the bathroom through the hall and out the front door to put it straight in the bin.

My OCD is completly attacking me from EVERY angle at the moment since finding this damned box on saturday and I have not stopped cleaning since.
I have cleaned the door frames that hubby touched, cleaned the bathroom floor straight away after he removed the box, all the clothes we were wearing have been put out to wash, I have washed my hair 4 times since removal of the box...
Then the OCD started really attacking and over the course of the next 48 hrs I cleaned all the floors of the flat, the rug in the lounge, completly blitzed the bathroom, have decided to throw away Jimby and Cookies treat jar and get a new one as that one was on the side of the kitchen sink when hubby came back in and washed his hands...
I have also decided today that I shoudl buy new trainers for hubby as I do not want the trainers he wore to remove it in the flat in case they are contaminated- even though they have been in the flat since saturday anyway which is causing me unmentionable anxiety :(

My concerns are:

1. Could anything have remained on the floor of the bathroom once it had been cleaned?
2. Could any of the poison have leaked out of the bag on the way to the front door?
3. If hubby touched some part of the box without realising like when he puleed the bag over the back of the box with his ungloved hand then touched something else and then the bunnies touched that could it poioson them?
4. Hubby was wearing his slippers when he removed the bait box from the bathroom and at first I did not think too much of it so did not think to wash them straight away but that night Jimby licked his slipper, :( if anything were on them which was dangerous would what ever was going to happen have happened by now? (That was Saturday evening) I have since washed his slippers.
5. Because our hall way is very narrow and right opposite the bathroom door, shoes are walked in to the hall way, then we walk through the hall way in to the lounge and walk whatever dirt has been brought in by shoes through the flat, could any poision have got on to his shoes when taking the box out and then have been walked in to the lounge? As I did not clean the hall way straight away after removal of the box- in hindsite I should have done, so now I am worried that any poision could have leaked out on to the floor and have been walked in to the lounge where the buns are :(

If you have made it to the end of this post, firstly thankyou. And if you are able to reply please be gentle as I do suffer from a mental health illness, this is not something I am choosing to do or to worry about, I can not help what my brain is telling me, I am also pregnant so my hormones are ALL over the place! :cry:

Last edited:
I agree, it sounds like you have done an amazing job at cleaning and I'm sure all will be ok. Do you know how long the bait box was there as surely if the bait is 'out of date' the strength if it would be minimal, I'm no expert though. I still think all will be ok after your great cleaning job and I know it's hard but try not to worry :D

I agree, it sounds like you have done an amazing job at cleaning and I'm sure all will be ok. Do you know how long the bait box was there as surely if the bait is 'out of date' the strength if it would be minimal, I'm no expert though. I still think all will be ok after your great cleaning job and I know it's hard but try not to worry :D

I agree with this Rach you have done a wonderful cleaning job

I'm sure that your buns would only get poorly if they'd eaten the poison itself. I also think that the effects of these things are pretty instant so you would definitely know by now.

I personally don't think you need to BUT if it puts your mind at rest and stops you fretting, call your vet and explain. They'll have seen this before.

I don't think you need to buy your OH new trainers, they should be ok if you put them in the washing machine on a 40 degree wash and maybe spritz them before that with some dettol spray for extra security.

It sounds like your OH did everything right and I am sure your buns are fine.

Please try not to worry my lovely, it sounds like your cleaning job was super thorough.

xxx:love:

Oh that's horrible & I can totally relate to how you feel as I can get like that too about things, it escalates & gathers momentum - honestly I think you'll be fine now you've covered everything, I'm assuming where the box was has been sterilised aswell, I'm almost certain you'd have seen problems by now, it's gone & you were brilliant in dealing with it how you did so cuppa tea & just re-evaluate any other little things that can be wiped over with some disinfectant like the bin lid, other than that you've got it all covered & I'm sure now you've got it out on here you'll move on, hugs to you, I am exactly like this at times & it's a horrid feeling xx

Thankyou all of you for your kind words :)
I just can not seem to get past this! :cry:
I am washing clothes like there is no tomorrow!! :cry:
I have cleaned everything I can think of but as soon as I think I have done everything I keep thinking of new trails and then it all starts over again :cry:
Last night after I brushed my teeth I noticed a white frothy blob on the floor by the cupboard, it had to be toothpaste as it was bubbly and looked like toothpast but my OCD told me it was poison that I had missed, is this possible?

I do not know how I would even go about asking the vets to be honest, I get very emotional when I talk about this and they already think I am crazy if I go adding OCD to that they are going to think I need to be locked up :(

I just called the vets and spoke to a lovely nurse, she said that they would have had to actually eat the poision for it to do harm and they didnt.
Why cant I stop worrying?

I just called the vets and spoke to a lovely nurse, she said that they would have had to actually eat the poision for it to do harm and they didnt.
Why cant I stop worrying?

Because this is your condition and it's very debilitating and all the reassurance in the world is not going to help, it just plays into it. Only you can break the cycle of the way you feel and reassure yourself that everything is ok. You have to just STOP now, stop cleaning, stop thinking about it and just let it go. I know it's hard but that is the nature of OCD. All this time you are worrying you are missing out on happy times and happy thoughts about your bunnies. Focus on that. :):wave:

ETA By the way I understand OCD because I have had forms of it and still am mildly OCD at times... I wasn't just being bossy and patronising ;) You just have to stop Rachylou and distract yourself with something else ok.

On the positive side your house is now very clean :lol:

I don't think you have anything to worry about. There can't be any poison left.

Because this is your condition and it's very debilitating and all the reassurance in the world is not going to help, it just plays into it. Only you can break the cycle of the way you feel and reassure yourself that everything is ok. You have to just STOP now, stop cleaning, stop thinking about it and just let it go. I know it's hard but that is the nature of OCD. All this time you are worrying you are missing out on happy times and happy thoughts about your bunnies. Focus on that. :):wave:

ETA By the way I understand OCD because I have had forms of it and still am mildly OCD at times... I wasn't just being bossy and patronising ;) You just have to stop Rachylou and distract yourself with something else ok.

Tis' true, go out of the house for a few hours tomorrow and have lunch out, treat the buns to new treat jar and then come home with a good magazine and some chocolate and put your feet up :wave:

Aw I'm sorry sweetie. :(

Honestly you probably have nothing to worry about, just watch the bunnies for any unusual symptoms like difficulty breathing or swollen joints.

It is veeeery unlikely that they ingested it, judging from what you said. They didn't even ingest it directly right? Trace amounts aren't enough to be dangerous and after the cleaning there's probably no more trace amounts.

But for future reference, I got a lot of information from this dependable-looking petmd.com website so you'll know what to expect as far as poisonings.

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_rb_rat_poisoning

I hate to say this but the symptoms may take a few days to manifest...if you know that they ingested something or they get symptoms go to the vet to get blood/urine analysis. Right now though this most likely is not necessary!
But nevertheless, a poisoning can be serious but not fatal as long as they get treatment.
Here is an important quote from the site:

"If the rabbit is in crisis, then the pet needs to be kept in hospital for treatment. Begin treatment immediately after ingestion (within 24 to 48 hours) by administering activated charcoal to the rabbit to treat poisoning. It also important to bring the suspected package of rat poison with you, so the veterinarian can identify the active rodenticide agent and treat the pet accordingly."

Like everyone says though you cleaned so well and you know that OCD can make you worry way too much. You did a great job!

Last night after I brushed my teeth I noticed a white frothy blob on the floor by the cupboard, it had to be toothpaste as it was bubbly and looked like toothpast but my OCD told me it was poison that I had missed, is this possible?

After all your cleaning I'd say it's just toothpaste, but I understand your worry.

I have a mental condition also, not OCD but I do have an OCD friend and I know how it can drive him crazy at times. Just remind yourself that it makes you worry more than you have to, and be kind to yourself. :)

Last edited:
Aw I'm sorry sweetie. :(

Honestly you probably have nothing to worry about, just watch the bunnies for any unusual symptoms like difficulty breathing or swollen joints.

It is veeeery unlikely that they ingested it, judging from what you said. They didn't even ingest it directly right? Trace amounts aren't enough to be dangerous and after the cleaning there's probably no more trace amounts.

But for future reference, I got a lot of information from this dependable-looking petmd.com website so you'll know what to expect as far as poisonings.

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_rb_rat_poisoning

I hate to say this but the symptoms may take a few days to manifest...if you know that they ingested something or they get symptoms go to the vet to get blood/urine analysis. Right now though this most likely is not necessary!
But nevertheless, a poisoning can be serious but not fatal as long as they get treatment.
Here is an important quote from the site:

"If the rabbit is in crisis, then the pet needs to be kept in hospital for treatment. Begin treatment immediately after ingestion (within 24 to 48 hours) by administering activated charcoal to the rabbit to treat poisoning. It also important to bring the suspected package of rat poison with you, so the veterinarian can identify the active rodenticide agent and treat the pet accordingly."

Like everyone says though you cleaned so well and you know that OCD can make you worry way too much. You did a great job!

After all your cleaning I'd say it's just toothpaste, but I understand your worry.

I have a mental condition also, not OCD but I do have an OCD friend and I know how it can drive him crazy at times. Just remind yourself that it makes you worry more than you have to, and be kind to yourself. :)

:shock: The nurse I spoke to said it would be very quick to be seen and said that she would have expected to see signs on sunday if there was likely to be a problem?

:shock: The nurse I spoke to said it would be very quick to be seen and said that she would have expected to see signs on sunday if there was likely to be a problem?

The VN is correct :) I would willingly let ALL my Rabbits come over to yours and I would have absolutely no concerns about them ingesting any poison.

So, when can you accommodate a visit from 35 hungry Bunnies ? :D

The VN is correct :) I would willingly let ALL my Rabbits come over to yours and I would have absolutely no concerns about them ingesting any poison.

So, when can you accommodate a visit from 35 hungry Bunnies ? :D

:lol: Well they could definatly visit but I am not sure Jimby and Cookie would agree with me ont hat one!

Jane when you say the VN do you mean the Veterniary Nurse? Sorry if that is a dumb question! :oops:

If there were any trail of any poison would that be enough to harm them or would they have actually had to get in to the box and eat it?
I just can not stop cleaning everything but I know I am just feeding my OCD by doing so but I love my babies so much and can not risk them getting ill or worse! :cry:

:lol: Well they could definatly visit but I am not sure Jimby and Cookie would agree with me ont hat one!

Jane when you say the VN do you mean the Veterniary Nurse? Sorry if that is a dumb question! :oops:

If there were any trail of any poison would that be enough to harm them or would they have actually had to get in to the box and eat it?
I just can not stop cleaning everything but I know I am just feeding my OCD by doing so but I love my babies so much and can not risk them getting ill or worse! :cry:

They have not and now CAN NOT ingest the bait box poison. The only thing that could become an issue for them is seeing and feeling YOUR stress.

So, the OCD does NOT win here. You tell all the intrusive thoughts to :censored: off. They are talking utter rubbish to you and there is apart of your mind that KNOWS that. So, now it's time to pay attention to that part. The part with the FACTS, not the part that wants to make you more poorly.

Jims and Cookie need you to be as well as possible. You CAN do it !!

Oh, and yes by VN I meant 'Vet Nurse' :)

They would have to actually get in the box and eat it. To do that they would have to fit round a wee maze type wall, designed so humans can't actually touch the poison but the mice can walk round it.

It is a plasticine type substance, not powder so there is no chance of there being a trail. Please try and distract yourself with something. There is no poison in your house, no trail of poison and no residues of poison on any clothes or footwear.

16 th Aug is a great day for a baby, it is my eldests birthday!:D

:cry: I am not well am I? :cry:
I think I may have to surrender and go back on my meds although I have been trying so hard not to whilst pregnant for fear of what it may do to my baby but all this stress and anxiety can not be good for the baby either can it?!

I think Jims is picking up on my stress as he gives me looks as if to say 'Mummy please dont be sad' and he looks sad and cocks his little head to one side when he 'says' it. :love: He is my little hero, without him I would not even be here, he saved me from a very desperate time in my life where I was ready to end it all, I love him more than the world and I can not loose him! :cry:

IF there were a trail of any posion whether it be from being walked through the flat into the rug, on a work top that one of us has touched, on clothing or shoes... would that be enough to harm them or would they have to eat more than that?

Back