• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Energy Levels relating to diet

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
(Mods - please move this to diet if needs be - i just wanted the widest audience possible to discuss this)

Guys & Gals.

Does anyone else see extra energy levels in buns if they are on a 'hay only' or 'pretty much hay only' diet?

Biscuit, more notably than anybun else, has an insanely crazy amount of energy since i've dramatically dropped their veg/herbs/pellet diet.

He runs around like a lunatic and is doing at least 200% more binkies than he was before.

This is definately since their diet was changed.

Does anyone else see this?

I have found if I give fresh herbs straight off the plant, rather than dried it gives Pie alot more energy.
Also, if Obie eats a mountain of hay he will defiantly have a mad 1hour when I let him run around.
Like us, and horses I do think their energy levels are dictated by their diet (and water intake).

This has definately been true for Hector. Since his dental last year we have stopped giving him (and Lluna) carrot, and have been giving them less veggies and even less pellets than they were getting already. He now never stops eating hay and behaves like a young rabbit again, full of energy and running around all over the place! I don't know if its just the diet or him feeling better because his teeth aren't spiky but it's great to see :D

(Lluna meanwhile has got more and more lazy! She still has crazy binky moments when free ranging though :))

I've not tried mine on that diet so I don't know, but can I just ask, are they on 100% hay now then with no veg or pellets at all?

I'm considering knocking nuggets on the head and they hardly get any now but not sure if they would be missing out on nutrients without them?

I've not tried mine on that diet so I don't know, but can I just ask, are they on 100% hay now then with no veg or pellets at all?

I'm considering knocking nuggets on the head and they hardly get any now but not sure if they would be missing out on nutrients without them?

No, but they are on minimal pellets.

10 SS pellets each, per day, split into 2 feedings, so 5 each, twice a day.

Then a small handful of herbs (dill, coriander, basil, thyme).

Lots and LOTS of hay is eaten in comparison to before.

No, but they are on minimal pellets.

10 SS pellets each, per day, split into 2 feedings, so 5 each, twice a day.

Then a small handful of herbs (dill, coriander, basil, thyme).

Lots and LOTS of hay is eaten in comparison to before.

That's what mine get too. Maybe slightly more pellets, 7-8 each twice a day, though Nutmeg has slightly less just cos she's diddy. No dill though, can't get hold of it, have a plant to try in the garden this year :thumb:

Mine have lots of energy when they want to. It's just that they are lazy. Put them in the run and they go crazy. It's not that they don't have space indoors. If I let them on the landing they run around for five minutes and then lay down again :roll:

Louie now has no pellets, just hay, herbs and grass and I've noticed a massive improvement in both poo output and energy levels.

wel...mine get the oxbow bunny basics/T & 15/23 - so they funny shaped pellets - more long....then hay hay hay & herbs....cant say Ive noticed much difference...but the are having prob. an egg cup morning & eveing...depending on if they have some spring fresh grass and how their poops are...

They seem to be typically active morning & , 5pm ish & then again late evening.....of course they get very active if i bring any fresh food...hay herbs, grass anything...its up & away wahoooo!:)

Back