• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brushing / Matted fur info

chul

Staff member
Belle is a right little madam and is refusing to be brushed. I have struggled since I got her, and last night i found 3 mats on her. One either side of her cin and one under her chin.

Any help is desperatly needed! We tried combing/cutting one out, we got some out but not all.

Will the vets be able to deal with this?

Belle is a right little madam and is refusing to be brushed. I have struggled since I got her, and last night i found 3 mats on her. One either side of her cin and one under her chin.

Any help is desperatly needed! We tried combing/cutting one out, we got some out but not all.

Will the vets be able to deal with this?

That'll be expensive if you have to take her to the vets for grooming constantly.

Ginger gets tiny matts under her chin, where she drinks, but she seems to groom that out herself somehow.

Re the rest of Belle however, could you try a bunny burrito to groom her, so she can't struggle so much?

That'll be expensive if you have to take her to the vets for grooming constantly.

Ginger gets tiny matts under her chin, where she drinks, but she seems to groom that out herself somehow.

Re the rest of Belle however, could you try a bunny burrito to groom her, so she can't struggle so much?

If I have to pay I have to pay!

Not sure how a bunny burrito works, does it not cover the whole body?

Try to work the matts out with your fingers first, she might not dislike that as much. I have a similar problem with Maisie and she hates almost all contact, but usually brushing her whilst she's nomming works.

Try to work the matts out with your fingers first, she might not dislike that as much. I have a similar problem with Maisie and she hates almost all contact, but usually brushing her whilst she's nomming works.

Thanks, I thought of you last night actually!
I will try again tonight with fingers/comb. It didnt work last night, one was a loop I could put my finger through:?

I know this sounds quite traumatic, but, do you have anyone who can help. I have been working on a very matted foster bun for a few weeks. I have found that the worst mats just have to be cut out. I hold the rabbits head and front legs together firmly sideways against my chest. OH holds their back legs stretched out and I have my other hand free to snip any matts and knots with the scissors. I tend to cut them because it is quicker and less stressful to the bun. If you look at the British Bunnies forum blog you will see how Oliver is getting on.

I know this sounds quite traumatic, but, do you have anyone who can help. I have been working on a very matted foster bun for a few weeks. I have found that the worst mats just have to be cut out. I hold the rabbits head and front legs together firmly sideways against my chest. OH holds their back legs stretched out and I have my other hand free to snip any matts and knots with the scissors. I tend to cut them because it is quicker and less stressful to the bun. If you look at the British Bunnies forum blog you will see how Oliver is getting on.

My OH can help :wave:

It took me a long time to get the hang of brushing Minstrel and work out a routine that suited us both. After the first couple of months I had to take her to be groomed as I decided it would be easier for a professional to get her back to square one and then I could just keep on top of it. I found a local dog groomer who also boards rabbits and is an RWA member :)

She's generally very well behaved, but tends to wriggle when I do her back end.

Back