• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dragging her back legs had a fall

longleap

New Kit
please read .... my mini lop had a fall and landed on her back, she had a fit and after could not move her back legs, i rushed her up to the vets, she had medacam and other jabs every day for a week and had to stay in a cat box for 2 weeks,I was told it was not much hope because i had to empty her bladder 4 times a day .....BUT a miracle happened she now after 2 weeks and one day she can tuck her legs under her body and is walking , she looks drunk and falls after 4/5 steps, but now can pee and poo herself and today she even had a go of doing a binky and is making a buzzing noise every time i open her cage, she now is in a small g.pig cage still on a vet bed .... so please do not put your bunny to sleep if it ever has a fall and has a spine injury.

thats a lovely story :)

I would keep her on the metacam till the vet can confirm shes not in pain though :) there is a member on here called 'hugos there' who has a lot of disabled bunnies and works hard to make their lives as happy as possible. If you search his past threads you will probably find some useful tips to help enrich her life.

I do believe disabled bunnies can still lead a good quality of life, hopefully soon she'll get well enough to run around the room too, best of luck and I hope she continues to improve.

Thanks

Thanks for your message ... otty is still on metacam and steroids and will be still going to the vets weekly for as long as it takes for her to be pain free and hopping around normal again.
we have three lops a 7 year old that as been so healthy and he looks super for his age, and a 1 year old and otty is 9 months old.
I will look at the old post and see what i can find.
Thanks again :D

Well done for getting your bun so far after the accident.

Good luck with the rest of the recovery to you both

A lovely positive story

Ruth xx :wave:

A second chance

You are right, in most cases I don't think it's humane to put any animal to sleep when they still have a chance at recovery. When Aiden was sick a vet told us (not our current vet, who saved his life) that the most humane thing would be to put him to sleep. :( Boy am I glad we didn't! Aiden is quite happy now :)

Last edited:
please read .... my mini lop had a fall and landed on her back, she had a fit and after could not move her back legs, i rushed her up to the vets, she had medacam and other jabs every day for a week and had to stay in a cat box for 2 weeks,I was told it was not much hope because i had to empty her bladder 4 times a day .....BUT a miracle happened she now after 2 weeks and one day she can tuck her legs under her body and is walking , she looks drunk and falls after 4/5 steps, but now can pee and poo herself and today she even had a go of doing a binky and is making a buzzing noise every time i open her cage, she now is in a small g.pig cage still on a vet bed .... so please do not put your bunny to sleep if it ever has a fall and has a spine injury.

I have ava with spinal deformaty and she has had recent trouble with her back end- i was advised pts option, but didn't either. She is so much better and copes with just abit of sudocream and occasional antibiotics.

Lovely story that your bun is recovering- this can of care is intense- well done you xxxx

Back