• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apex run?

Fudgeley

Young Bun
Hi

we are looking to rehome a bonded pair of rabbits (dwarf lop size probably).we have a large hutch with an open topped run that attaches to the front of the hutch.Our last two buns used to come out into the run where my daughter could sit and play with them.They would happily binky around when there was someone around as obviously the open top was n ot secure enough to leave them unattended.

I would very much like to add another exercise area where they can go when they can't use the open run. I was thinking of an apex run but wondered if there was any way of connecting an existing hutch to one of these? I had in mind the rotastack idea that hamsters have and wondered if there was any such product for rabbits? I just love the idea of the rabbits being able to explore in something like an above ground warren.

There is a tunnelling system for rabbits...I can't for the life of me remember the name, but someone on here has their hutch in a garage, then the tunnels lead out into two runs in the garden.

I'll have a hunt...

Fantastic.This is exactly what I was after.I can link the hutch to an apex run for when we are not around and then the large run can be used when we are there and my daughter can sit in and play.this also means it can be moved around the garden to get the best grass! Thankyou.

Hi I was just going to say that the apex runs are generally not big enough for binky space and you only get a tiny amount of height in the very middle in which the bunnies could stand on their hind legs and stretch up. You'd be better going for a flat-topped sturdy run for them to go in, and then use part of the runaround system tubes for them to get from the hutch in to the run, or else place the run in front of their hutch and attach it somehow (we've used garden rope and connecting locks before). :wave:

Yep, you don't get much space for you money with an apex because of the slopping sides. Is there anyway you could add a lid to your current run? You can buy aviary panels in various sizes which can be used as lids.

Our run is quite a big one and was designed so that our daughter can be in with the rabbits.This is where they get a lot of their exercise.I was looking for another run that was more secure for them so that they could have another exercise area linked directly and safely to their hutch.I was keen on the trixie galvanised runs but not sure if you could attach a runaround link to one of those?

There are some quite good runs on Ebay, some are quite sturdy and good value for money. I got our 8'x4' one from there and it was attached on to the front of the buns hutch and now is attached on to the front of their shed, which they access by way of a man-made cat-flap made out of the wood. If it is a good height-run, you may be able to fit the run snugly against the hutch and attach it somehow. Or set it a little bit away and then connect the runaround tubes. :wave:

Back