• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is all hay good hay?

dcs

New Kit
So many different types of hay but is it all good to eat? I bought timothy hay from big pet store but our local pet shop has meadow hay which is cheaper and I don't really know what the difference is.

Nice Meadow Hay is just fine! A big bag of Meadow hay at my local shop is £6.00, an equivalent bag of Timothy over £30!! I don't have that kind of money and my buns LOVE meadow!

Meadow Hay, Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass are all perfect to free feed. Alfafa is high in calcium, so for babies only, not adults. I think Oat Hay is treat hay only too?

It's abit over-whelming the amount of different things there are to feed your rabbit with. Just want to make sure he's getting the right things. Thanks for your replies.

I dont understand about all of the types of hay:?
But my buns seem to prefer the type with long thick stalks with seed heads on, but as I buy hay by the bale from a local farm shop every bale is different.( what ever they have managed to buy in) Some better than others, in my opinion.
Are there any hay education courses going on out there? :lol:

I dont understand about all of the types of hay:?
But my buns seem to prefer the type with long thick stalks with seed heads on, but as I buy hay by the bale from a local farm shop every bale is different.( what ever they have managed to buy in) Some better than others, in my opinion.
Are there any hay education courses going on out there? :lol:

mine picks out the seed head things first with the timothy hay, but can't see any in the meadow hay I've bought. We shall see if he enjoys it or not. :D

All hay is fine to free feed as much as possible, but not alfalfa hay. :)

As far as I know...

Timothy hay is a green colour and is high in fibre.
Oat hay is yellower and mine all love it but is a bit higher in protein but not in high enough properties to worry.
Meadow hay is a mix of all sorts of hay. This is what mine (and most bunnies) get on a regular basis and it is what bales will usually be made up of. Mine love it and enjoy picking out the different bits.

Ours always has timothy hay but have recently bought a large bag of meadow hay so we are going to try him with that

karendorman13

Last edited:
Timothy is supposed to be the best, but as long as it's fresh and it's not alfalfa (except for baby buns who can/should eat alfalfa) it's good hay.

Except Nyxie thinks Timothy hay is unacceptable; she doesn't touch it. :lol:
Oh well, chow down on your alfalfa for now Nyxie :p :roll:

Back