• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think...

Do you think it is right to leave your buns free range outdoors with no supervision?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Possibly

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

Trixielover

Mama Doe
...it is acceptable to leave your bunnies free range outside with no supervision at all? I'm not starting an argument jut asking. :wave: Please state why you have chosen this answer

Last edited:
my two are both very clumsy and get into everything so i would say not long term, i do leave them to get a drink etc though but thats as far as it goes :)

Do you mean outside or inside?

If inside I think yes so long as its a completely bunny-proofed room.

Outside, no, not unsupervised.

ETA: sorry just seen the poll now and see you mean outside - my answer is no, its not ok.

Inside or outside? I leave Oscar to free range the house when we aren't here and at night, but everything dangerous/easily damaged is tidied away. I wouldn't risk it outside though...

I used to let mine out all day whilst I went to work (only had M&M at the time)
but I just couldn't do it now, ... after a very close encounter with Mr.Fox!!! :shock:

No I don't think so as they could be under attack from predators or could get out.

we used to with htumper our french lop years ago, but she was tough and fought off cats etc, but not now i wouldn;t heard to many stories of foxes getting to rabbits etc and now i only let them out free range under supervision, even if in the run i make sure someone is still watching them, or put them in it if say mum or dad where outside

No because I am responsible for their welfare and I would be failing to provide them every possible protection from a predator if I left them outside unsupervised, either Free Range or in an open topped run.

I let Cookie and Poppet free range on the roof terrace if I pop to the shop or something. There is no way of getting in, there is no way of getting out, it's been bunny proofed and they have access to their open hutch, if they prefer to snooze in there. I wouldn't leave them out whilst I went out for any length of time tho; they'd be put away and let out as soon as I get back in.

They've been good as gold since they've been spayed ~ very well-behaved. I wouldn't have left them out before ~ they were too naughty!

Do you think a bun in a big run (topped and VERY secured) staying in there through out the school hours would be ok with their toys? (outoors)

Do you think a bun in a big run (topped and VERY secured) staying in there through out the school hours would be ok with their toys? (outoors)

Would it be on grass or concrete? Would it have a shaded end? And somewhere to hide if they got scared?

ETA: my buns have access to their runs directly from their shed or aviary. They are as secure as I think I can make them (and as secure as hutches) and are on concrete. If scared or need shelter they can run back in to their shed/aviary.

I used to say yes, because I thought I lived in a safe area and had lived there for 7 years and never seen a fox.

Now I say no, because I learnt the hard way that even after 7 years, the first time you see a fox is the last time you see your rabbits alive...

Would it be on grass or concrete? Would it have a shaded end? And somewhere to hide if they got scared?

ETA: my buns have access to their runs directly from their shed or aviary. They are as secure as I think I can make them (and as secure as hutches) and are on concrete. If scared or need shelter they can run back in to their shed/aviary.

Yes on concrete, with shelter and VERY secure!!!

I don't, personally - two of my rabbits were taken from inside their locked hutch by a fox, so I certainly wouldn't risk them outside even for a moment.

Other people may choose differently, I respect their choice as both ways have benefits, but I certainly wouldn't leave mine unsupervised or permit anyone who was looking after them to do so.

I'd never let Sox free-range outside unsupervised, even though my garden is bunny proofed, its too risky, I'd never ever forgive myself if anything bad happened to him, NEVER :(

I would(and do)leave him in his run while I'm at school though, but its super, super safe and its attached to his hutch/shed so he can go inside if he wants. I wouldn't leave him in his run if it wasn't for it being attached to a shed/hutch though. :wave:

Back