• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat all herbs?

karen1980

Mama Doe
I grow carrots for the bunnies but looking at growing herbs this year.

Please can you advise if there are any herbs they cannot eat and which ones are easiest to grow?

Thanks

also ive read somewhere pansy's are okay? and lavender?

I know that nasturians (sp?) and arigolds are fine

Yeah pansys and violas are fine and mine like lavender.

I generally feed basil, sage, mint, parsley, coriander, thyme, dill, rosemary and just get different varieties of these.

:wave: Last year I grew mint, flat leaf parsley, basil & coriander really successfully. I've got some dill to try & grow for them this year aswell.

As previously said, not Chives. They belong to the onion family & are toxic to rabbits.

so no to marigolds gosh i had them out last year as thought they were okay :oops: mine dont munch anything when they are out except the carrot tops and the grass but i'll know not to have marigolds again. Thanks

Last year I grew quite a lot of herbs for my bunnies:-

Basil
Parsley flat leaf & curled
Coriander
Thyme
Dill
Sweet Marjoram
Mint

They loved them all apart from the mint which they weren't that keen on for some reason, they suffered no ill effects from any of them.
I have also read Bunnies are not to have chives so I don't feed them but haven't heard of any other herbs they shouldn't have.
Good luck with growing your herbs, I have planted a load in seed trays and some have started growing now:D:D
Have also planted some plantain seeds for the buns too :D

Last year I grew quite a lot of herbs for my bunnies:-

Basil
Parsley flat leaf & curled
Coriander
Thyme
Dill
Sweet Marjoram
Mint

They loved them all apart from the mint which they weren't that keen on for some reason, they suffered no ill effects from any of them.
I have also read Bunnies are not to have chives so I don't feed them but haven't heard of any other herbs they shouldn't have.
Good luck with growing your herbs, I have planted a load in seed trays and some have started growing now:D:D
Have also planted some plantain seeds for the buns too :D

plantain as in the relation to the banana?

plantain as in the relation to the banana?

They are sort of like a grass not sure if they are related to Banana. They are supposed to be well liked by bunnies so hope they grow, got 4000 seeds for
99 pence on Ebay :lol: The person who sells them is a member on RU and has her own website called Rabbit Nutrition maybe worth a look there is pictures of Plantain on there :wave:

They are sort of like a grass not sure if they are related to Banana. They are supposed to be well liked by bunnies so hope they grow, got 4000 seeds for
99 pence on Ebay :lol: The person who sells them is a member on RU and has her own website called Rabbit Nutrition maybe worth a look there is pictures of Plantain on there :wave:

Thanks Lily loved Plantain I bought it dried from the shop but wasnt sure if it was the banana plant or what!

I'll have a look on ebay Thanks

so no to marigolds gosh i had them out last year as thought they were okay :oops: mine dont munch anything when they are out except the carrot tops and the grass but i'll know not to have marigolds again. Thanks

The larger marigolds (calendula) are fine, but I read somewhere that the small french marigolds shouldn't be fed (but you never know how true things are that you read in books anyway!)

Mine also love Love In A Mist which grows absolutely anywhere.

Back