• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bun - any advice welcome

hollybun

New Kit
Hi everyone, new to the forum and in need of advice.

My 6 month old lionhead went off her food on thursday and on friday i took her to the vet.

She seemed fine but had an empty tummy so vet gave her a baytril injection and metoclopramide injection in case of early statis.

On saturday morning I was thrilled to see she had eaten hay, some pellets (about as quarter as many as usual) and had pooed a normal amount.

Took her back to the vet for her follow up on Saturday morning and they were pleased with her progress. Tummy still not very full so another of each injection and some Baytril and a syringe for me to give her today (sunday).

I am now concerned as she has not pooed overnight so no poos since saturday morning... VERY unusual for any bunny and particularly her as she is usually a machine!

She is still eating a bit of hay and happy to have veg, but no pellets and no poos.

I am planning to take her to the vets again first thing on Monday morning but am very very worried about her. She is not as chirpy as usual,though still alert.

Is there anything else I could / should be doing? If it was your bun would you be thinking about emergency sunday vets or wait until first thing monday?

Please, any advice very appreciated xxx

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly

She is still drinking, though not as much as usual.

Her teeth were checked and absolutely fine.

She didnt have any pain relief though...

xxx

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly

She is still drinking, though not as much as usual.

Her teeth were checked and absolutely fine.

She didnt have any pain relief though...

xxx

Well pain from anywhere will stop a Bun from eating much............

Personally I'd contact a Vet for advice today. The not pooing for 24 hours is concerning and IMO not something that can be left untreated until tomorrow.

Thanks so much.

Just called the emergency vet and they've advised to wait a couple more hours to see if she goes to the toilet, as she is still eating and drinking.

I will wait until 2pm and if no change then take her in.

Poor bunny :( feel so useless when they are poorly

xxx

Thanks so much.

Just called the emergency vet and they've advised to wait a couple more hours to see if she goes to the toilet, as she is still eating and drinking.

I will wait until 2pm and if no change then take her in.

Poor bunny :( feel so useless when they are poorly

xxx

Is she being quite active ? Exercise will help promote gut motility, so getting her to hop about might be a good idea :)

Thanks, sorry for delay - took her into the vets and they have taken her in to be on the safe side. They are great bunny vets and said its goodshe is still alert and eating but worrying still no poos!

She is going to stay overnight and have regular feeds / fluids and necessary injections to get her system going again.

I have everything crossed we got it in time, thanks so much for your help xxx

Thanks, sorry for delay - took her into the vets and they have taken her in to be on the safe side. They are great bunny vets and said its goodshe is still alert and eating but worrying still no poos!

She is going to stay overnight and have regular feeds / fluids and necessary injections to get her system going again.

I have everything crossed we got it in time, thanks so much for your help xxx

A very wise decision to take her back and have her admitted. I hope that with the appropriate treatment she will soon be 100% recovered. Please keep us updated :)

Thanks so much, will do. Can't wait to see her again tomorrow and vets have said I can call for progress updates as much as I like :)
xxx

Thanks so much :) got everything crossed. I love her so much!

I must do - estimate is £600!!! I don't care though as long as I know she's in the best place possible where they can super duper monitor her xxx

Just had an update from Jubjub's vet - they have managed to get her on an iv drip so she has plenty of fluids and she is apparently still alert and affectionate, but still hasn't passed any poos :(

Don't think I will sleep tonight...can't wait to see her and give her a big cuddle tomorrow, please God.

Going to call the vets again tonight around 8.30pm for another update - vibes very welcome, thank you!

xxx

Thank you SO much everyone for your lovely words.

Just had another update from the vets to say she is responding to the drip and eating and they said 'she certainly has a lot of energy!' which I guess is a good sign??

But she still hasnt passed anything, boo.

They are going to call first thing in the morning to update me and then hopefully I can visit her after work tomorrow. Can't wait to see her, not the same here without her binkying around my feet!

xxx

You did the right thing taking her in. She is in the best place and getting treatment. Sending her lots of pooping vibes. I hope she improves overnight.

I'm super pleased to say that JubJub is now home!! Still not 100% but the vets have done a brilliant job and behaviour wise she is almost back to her normal, naughty self - just how we like :)

She is eating plenty of hay and some veg which is great news. Got some meds to give her over the next few days and will have check ups for the next few days too.

Bless her - the ear her drip was in has gone floppy (normally they are super sticky uppy!) so she has one up one down - it looks so sweet!

Got everything crossed we caught her in time, thanks to everyone's help!

xxx

Back