• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Droopy eyes

Loxxy

Alpha Buck
Any ideas why Loxxy's eye is like this?

DSC08211.jpg

DSC08210.jpg

Its not constantly droopy like that but comes and goes. Most of the time its looking pretty normal :?: There's no discharge, it just looks 'droopy' :(

Any ideas why Loxxy's eye is like this?

DSC08211.jpg

DSC08210.jpg

Its not constantly droopy like that but comes and goes. Most of the time its looking pretty normal :?: There's no discharge, it just looks 'droopy' :(

Hi I'm not sure and I'd certainly get it checked at the vets if it continues and or gets more frequent but, it could be something as simple as being a bit run down maybe, as there are no signs of infection/discharge and your bun is normal and showing no other signs I'd be inclined to monitor and maybe try to boost the immune system with some fresh herbs etc, hope it is nothing serious, I'm sure there are other people who may have seen this so hope you get some more advice :wave:

Thanks for your replies :) I am, for now, monitoring it as it comes and goes, a large portion of the time, her eye looks normal. I will give her some herbs, she won a bundle of nice stuff from Burns Pet Nutrition, but I'll get her some extra bits tomorrow out shopping.

If it fails to improve in next couple of days, I'll be booking her in, or if it worsens.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks for your replies :) I am, for now, monitoring it as it comes and goes, a large portion of the time, her eye looks normal. I will give her some herbs, she won a bundle of nice stuff from Burns Pet Nutrition, but I'll get her some extra bits tomorrow out shopping.

If it fails to improve in next couple of days, I'll be booking her in, or if it worsens.

I will keep you posted!

Sounds like a plan, I've heard of the 3rd eyelid being referred to but, I'm not sure I've seen it, apparently it can show when the bun is particularly tired or a bit run down, how old is she? She is lovely :love:

She's 11 months now, living in conservatory, goes outside when its warm, moving back outside when its much warmer (was a frost this morning :shock:).

What kind of herbs do you think would be best? I know you're pretty good on this stuff, so probably best ask you than go 'Googling' - too much info to know the right answer usually!

The bundle of goodies we got from Burns (although not exactly 'herbs') were as follows:-

Welsh Meadow Hay
Plantain
Willow Sticks
Coltsfoot
Dandelion
Meadow Mix
Carrot Treats

P.S. Roseberry, I've read the whole thread on Barney, poor thing, he's certainly been brave, he's a real fighter :love:

Last edited:
She's 11 months now, living in conservatory, goes outside when its warm, moving back outside when its much warmer (was a frost this morning :shock:).

What kind of herbs do you think would be best? I know you're pretty good on this stuff, so probably best ask you than go 'Googling' - too much info to know the right answer usually!

The bundle of goodies we got from Burns (although not exactly 'herbs') were as follows:-

Welsh Meadow Hay
Plantain
Willow Sticks
Coltsfoot
Dandelion
Meadow Mix
Carrot Treats

P.S. Roseberry, I've read the whole thread on Barney, poor thing, he's certainly been brave, he's a real fighter :love:

They sound yum, I'm sure she'll love them - mine particularly love plantain and dandelion, I've not tried coltsfoot and I wasn't overly impressed with the Welsh Meadow Hay either - it smelt a bit iffy the bag I tried and my rabbits weren't overly keen they went for the cheaper meadow hay :lol:

I feed mine daily a large spring green leaf and a carrot top/with the carrot attached a couple of times a week (they are tiny perfect size, if larger I cut it in half) dill - I vary the carrot top with flat leaf parsley /basil - their staple which I always feed daily now is dill and spring greens - I do change the spring greens to kale once a week sometimes but, fresh kale not the chopped supermarket stuff - I'm finding this works really well for me. I used to feed brocolli aswell once a week and fruit daily but, I have reduced this to a teaspoon every other day as a treat, today they had a blueberry each but, Pixie didn't eat hers :roll: they only have fenugreek crunchies and a tiny bit of fruit as treats now, I don't buy any shop bought ones.

Here is the list from the RWA on the safe foods, I feed a relatively low calcium combination with a reasonable fibre content and one packet of parsley and dill feeds all four with a large spring green leaf aswell each. I avoid too many combinations now as a daily regime to limit chances of upsetting their tummies as I've had one with gas and one who got bloat. It's trial and error but, worth when introducing new veggies doing it slowly with very small amounts initially to monitor poops, I feed mine on average a good handful of fresh veg/herbs daily in two meals now, I was feeding the herbs through the day wet for some time to ensure fluids as they are all moulting but, it's slowing down now and they are all drinking more and eating hay really well so I've gone to 2 portions again. ETA in the hotter months I will introduce celery and some watercress I think, the celery has to be chopped very small so it's almost a sprinkle topping on some hay or spring greens, hope this helps, fingers crossed for her - she's only young so I do hope isn't anything to worry about :wave:

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

Last edited:
Oooh thanks, that's helpful.

Funny what you say about the Welsh Meadow Hay, because I stick a bunch of this in the end of Loxxy's box on top of the general hay, and she goes crazy for it!!! Funny how they all love different stuff!

I'll let you know how I get on !

Oooh thanks, that's helpful.

Funny what you say about the Welsh Meadow Hay, because I stick a bunch of this in the end of Loxxy's box on top of the general hay, and she goes crazy for it!!! Funny how they all love different stuff!

I'll let you know how I get on !

:lol: tbh it may have been a dodgy bag, I've only had the one ever so I may give it another go, I get the Burns Oat Hay and they lurrrrve it, I'm generally impressed with Burns foods so I was surprised.

Have you seen the Hayexperts site? They stock a lot of burns products and the famous fenugreek crunchies - www.thehayexperts.co.uk

Yes update with her progress which I hope is good news :wave:

:lol: tbh it may have been a dodgy bag, I've only had the one ever so I may give it another go, I get the Burns Oat Hay and they lurrrrve it, I'm generally impressed with Burns foods so I was surprised.

Have you seen the Hayexperts site? They stock a lot of burns products and the famous fenugreek crunchies - www.thehayexperts.co.uk

Yes update with her progress which I hope is good news :wave:

Ooh yes, I have placed orders with them before - Loxxy loves their boxes the stuff gets delivered in as much as the stuff inside :lol:

Oh and I bought some seeds from Shelledwarriors, which arrived today, so got to get planting! These looks great, and contain:-

1. Meadow fescue
2. Cocksfoot
3. Sheeps fescue
4. Tall fescue
5. Creeping red fescue
6. Red fescue
7. Timothy grass
8. Dandelion
9. Chickweed
10. Crimson Clover
11. White clover
12. Red clover
13. Aslike clover
14. Chicory
15. Plantain
2. Trefoil
17. Yarrow
18. Shepards Purse
19. Vetch
20. Ladys bedstraw
21. Hedge bedstraw
22. Knapweed
23. Chickweed
24. White Musk Mallow

(just don't ask me to identify each one as/if it grows!)

Ooh yes, I have placed orders with them before - Loxxy loves their boxes the stuff gets delivered in as much as the stuff inside :lol:

Oh and I bought some seeds from Shelledwarriors, which arrived today, so got to get planting! These looks great, and contain:-

1. Meadow fescue
2. Cocksfoot
3. Sheeps fescue
4. Tall fescue
5. Creeping red fescue
6. Red fescue
7. Timothy grass
8. Dandelion
9. Chickweed
10. Crimson Clover
11. White clover
12. Red clover
13. Aslike clover
14. Chicory
15. Plantain
2. Trefoil
17. Yarrow
18. Shepards Purse
19. Vetch
20. Ladys bedstraw
21. Hedge bedstraw
22. Knapweed
23. Chickweed
24. White Musk Mallow

(just don't ask me to identify each one as/if it grows!)

:shock: Blimey thats a good variety - I haven't even heard of some of them, why don't you do a new thread in diet with the web site link and just double check they are all deffo safe - I can see some of them on the RWA list but, as I say I've not heard of some of them :oops: How much were they? If it's a good deal it would be good to share the link so others can buy some.:)

:shock: Blimey thats a good variety - I haven't even heard of some of them, why don't you do a new thread in diet with the web site link and just double check they are all deffo safe - I can see some of them on the RWA list but, as I say I've not heard of some of them :oops: How much were they? If it's a good deal it would be good to share the link so others can buy some.:)

Someone on here bought it once before (I had to trail through my old posts to find it) - £3.20 for 50g from here!!

This was the old thread it was talked about on. Santa had a great idea and put mesh over top of her stuff growing so they could only eat the tops!

Last edited:
Someone on here bought it once before (I had to trail through my old posts to find it) - £3.20 for 50g from here!!

This was the old thread it was talked about on. Santa had a great idea and put mesh over top of her stuff growing so they could only eat the tops!

Ok thanks, I saw that Santa was referring to the Hayexperts seed blend which I would trust, I'm sure that one you have is fine but, I would double check it personally on another thread just because I haven't heard of some of the plants in there:oops: There are some members who are very well placed to advise you but, they may not see it on this thread. P/s I agree about the mesh idea - brilliant thinking!

Just to update on this... went to visit the vet this morning, who checked Loxxy's tear ducts, which were fine, checked her teeth, which he said were really good, and he likened her eye droopiness to that of a St Bernard. There are no signs of infection, discomfort or discharge, so all we can do is make sure it stays clear and if things like dust, etc. do irritate it, keep it clean with cooled boiled water. Obviously if there is any sign of change, we'll take a look further.

Whilst there, gave her a mixi jab and checked her claws, and only charged me £16.20 for the lot, so all in all, great news that there's no signs of anything actually wrong as such!!!

Back