• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Stasis Advice

charl86

Alpha Buck
I think Sooty is in stasis, I noticed about an hr ago that he wasn't eating, he was flopping a bit aswell. I tempted him with different things and syringed him some water and he seems to have perked up a bit but still not eating.

I called the emergency vets, the receptionist spoke to the vet she suggested I syringe him some baby food if I had any, which I dont so I suggested syringing moistened pellets. Is this okay to do? I'm thinking not incase theres a blockage is that right?:?

Anyway I said I'd call back in 30mins and take him in if there is no improvement but what do I need to ask for in terms of treatment when I get there? I've no idea if the vet is bunny savvy or not.

Just to add he is also grooming his feet legs and neck very excessivly as though he is itchy or somthing is aggrevating him? any ideas why that might be?

I would want the vet to give him a thorough check over, listen to tummy/heart, check inside the mouth for any dental problems. Feel around his tummy to see if they could feel any blockage. Possibly even a conscious x-ray of the tummy if a blockage is suspected.

For now I would just syringe the water, keep him warm maybe get him to hop around a bit to help get things moving but don't stress him.

When did he last poop?

I hope he perks up, if not good luck at the vet.

I tend to do the same as you if they stop eating, half and hour and then the vets.

Last edited:
Try to give Sooty some gentle tummy rubs in case it is gas, this could help disperse it but won't do any harm.

I assume by now you have spoken to the vet again, and I hope you will have a diagnosis soon.

I don't know if the excessive grooming or previous floppiness is related to him not eating but its always best to get suspected stasis checked out.

I hope he will be better soon.
sue:wave:

Thanks for the advice Ive no experience of stasis so its good to get some. He seems to be perking up a bit more now and has eaten a few treats as well as pellets so not called the vets back just yet, Ill keep my eye on him and give him some tummy rubs and take him in later if he doesnt continue to improve, (my OH will be made up when I get him out of bed for a lift!:lol:) Its going to be a long night!

:wave:You could let him have a bit of a run around too if he is feeling up for it - I have always found with mine that exercise helps get the gut moving again

I hope he is feeling better soon

Thanks for the advice Ive no experience of stasis so its good to get some. He seems to be perking up a bit more now and has eaten a few treats as well as pellets so not called the vets back just yet, Ill keep my eye on him and give him some tummy rubs and take him in later if he doesnt continue to improve, (my OH will be made up when I get him out of bed for a lift!:lol:) Its going to be a long night!

If he is eating at all then it's not likely to be an emergency I don't think, it's more observations and not stressing too much or you can create a circle of stress which in turn can rub off on the bun and personally if you've seen him eat I'd go with normal routine, I'd clean out his litter tray and check in 4-5 hours if he's pooed and wee'd, put out a counted number of pellets and wet herbs and if they've gone aswell then he's most likely had a bit of gas or was tired/off colour but, come through OK. It's a really good sign if they eat, in real stasis they hunch, don't move, eyes close and sometimes tooth grinding and the ears are stone cold aswell sometimes. It does vary but, he doesn't sound too bad so I'd probably try and act normal, provide some yummy bits and maybe a snugglesafe after a little run about and check in a few hours, hopefully there will be some nice poops and the food will have gone.

Also ensure there is a bowl of cooled boiled water to drink from - best of luck:)

Hi thanks for the advice its very helpful. Sooty is an indoor bun so he's in the living room with me with the fire on so nice and warm, he's been hopping around and getting tummy rubs. He doesn't seem to be uncomftable now and he is picking at food, he's a dental bun so I expect the problem may be tooth related. I'll take him in for a check up on his teeth if he doesn't end up going in tonight.

Sounds like it was a bit of belly ache/gas that sorted itself out.

You were definitely right not to syringe any food until he'd been checked for possibility of blockage. The flopping you described could have been abdominal discomfort which would be a symptom shown from a blockage so there's no way they should have advised to syringe food.

It might be a good idea to seek out a rabbit savvy out-of-hours vet for when you need one.

I hope Sooty is feeling much better this morning.

Hi, Sooty doing better this morning but still not 100% so I think I might take him to the vets after lunch when my OH get in from work. I stayed on the sofa last night so I could keep my eye on him and he's ate (but still being picky) and he's done some normal poos. I was hoping I could hold off till tomorrow when I could see my own vet but he still seems off still so probably best to go today.

Back