• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The end of the road? :( - She's home & pics Post 127

Pie

Warren Veteran
I feel we may be coming to it with Pie's stasis episodes. :cry:

After going through this with her: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274865

I was on my way to Witney in Oxfordshire for a seminar tomorrow, got 30mins into a 2 and a bit hour journey only to get a call from OH - Pie is very bad again.
I turned around where I could and came back. OH gave her Fibreplex and Metacam but just taken her to the vets.
The vet who has seen her this week and afew times before gave her Metaclopramide in the rear and a course of Panacur, just to be sure it's not parasites.

But he did talk about surgery next to remove everything stuck if the injections don't work. :( Problem is, she didn't respond to the first injection earlier this week and I'm afraid she won't this time either. The vet, L, said he will give her one more injection if she has not responded tonight but then he suggests surgery.

But after that, if that doesn't go well...... I can't even type it.
When do you know it's coming to the end of the road with a bun? How can you make 'that' decision and when? When do you say enough is enough.
Pie is the light of my life, I will be destroyed if I have to let her go, but something tells me she may not see her second birthday :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't deal with this not knowing. :(

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't have any advice but couldn't read your thread without saying that I'm really sorry you and Pie are going through a bad time. Vibes for Pie and big hugs for you xxx

That would be a huge loss, and I truly hope its not one you're having to face yet.

Do you know what's causing her stasis? Is she having fluids under the skin?

I am really sorry for you and pie. The timne to decide hasnt come yet stay positive you never know she might take to the next lot of medication :)

:( hunny im so sorry, ive got everything crossed for this little girl. it is always hard but you need to go with your gut instincts, you'll know when the time comes x

I am so sorry you are having to think of this....

Twinkle has had statis twice in ten months, but she has survived with great vet care... I feel that fluids and strong painkillers can get a bunny through statis and return a bunny back to health.

I hope you can get through this x

No no fluids under the skin, if I have to take her back tonight thats the first thing I am asking for.

fluffiebunny - I know how you feel. Pie started having Stasis about twice a year but since January she has had it at least 6-8 times!

She has just layed down but her breathing is incredibly fast - Ive never seen anything like it! :shock: :( Is that because of the drugs/painkiller? :?

I have a water syringe with me, when shall I start with that if she doesn't drink (like last time?)

Oh I really hope that Pie can be helped :cry::cry::cry:

I'm really sorry I've no advice, but wanted to send you all the vibes we can & say that we will keep you & Pie in our thoughts xxxx

what has she been diagnosed with? did the blood tests or xrays give any answers?

i have never considered having Alvin PTS for stasis and he has been worse than Pie, at times its taken over a week of daily vet visits to get him back to slighlty eating with no reasons given why it happens. :( and it was early 2010 when he was at his worst and thumps_ amazingly stepped in an helped me with his diet, bramble leaves and bang gut flora fixed.

it seems to me all these episodes are connected and her gut isnt back to full speed yet, obviously i could be very wrong but i dont remember the thread where the vet ran tests to find out what was going on inside :oops:

No no fluids under the skin, if I have to take her back tonight thats the first thing I am asking for.

fluffiebunny - I know how you feel. Pie started having Stasis about twice a year but since January she has had it at least 6-8 times!

She has just layed down but her breathing is incredibly fast - Ive never seen anything like it! :shock: :( Is that because of the drugs/painkiller? :?

I have a water syringe with me, when shall I start with that if she doesn't drink (like last time?)

The fast breathing is probably due to pain :cry:

Did the Vet say WHERE the impaction is ?

Has Pie had any diagnostics ? Abdominal Xray/Ultrasound ? Bloods ?

Is it her cecum that is impacted ?

No, not as yet. They will do that if she doesn't improve in a few hours.
I think it might be her Caecum playing up again. But she is so good with eating them.
Thing is she is getting so badly impacted so fast, I have no idea how it happens.

ETA:Its bad right at the back. But I think it's building up.

If it is her cecum that is impacted then surgery is really a very last resort. It is VERY high risk.

I have had two Rabbits with cecal impaction. They were treated with aggressive fluid therapy, both oral and subcutaneous. Lactulose, an osmotic laxative that draws fluid into the impacted matter. Ranitidine, which aswell reducing the acidity in the stomach also works as a hind gut motility stimulator.
Metoclopromide was also given. Pain relief was both Metacam and Vetergesic.

Treatment was ongoing 24/7 for TEN DAYS before the impaction cleared.
One Rabbit also had a shot of prostaglandin as a last resort. It worked.

Domperidone is another drug that can work on the motility of the cecum.

Here are some links which would be useful to read

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q=prostaglandin rabbit impaction&f=false

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.html

If it is her cecum that is impacted then surgery is really a very last resort. It is VERY high risk.

I have had two Rabbits with cecal impaction. They were treated with aggressive fluid therapy, both oral and subcutaneous. Lactulose, an osmotic laxative that draws fluid into the impacted matter. Ranitidine, which aswell reducing the acidity in the stomach also works as a hind gut motility stimulator.
Metoclopromide was also given. Pain relief was both Metacam and Vetergesic.

Treatment was ongoing 24/7 for TEN DAYS before the impaction cleared.
One Rabbit also had a shot of prostaglandin as a last resort. It worked.

Domperidone is another drug that can work on the motility of the cecum.

Here are some links which would be useful to read

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q=prostaglandin rabbit impaction&f=false

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.html

Thanks for the reading material. I am going through it now.

My brain isn't working. Shall I start to try and syringe her some water? She had the injection about an hour and half ago and is still looking very uncomfortable and in pain. Feels like she has a small tennis ball in her belly. :(

ETA: I have just seen her shift and she appears to have a round (sticky looking) poo stuck to her bum/leg.

Last edited:
Once she is over this bout (which I am positive she will be over with all the meds and advice!! Jacks Jane on the case!!) perhaps some diagnostics to see if anything is underlying?

Damson's kidney stones made him have dreadful and frequent stasis episodes and we did not realise for ages that they were actually the cause. The pain is so intense with the stones they go into stasis which leads to dehydration and then stasis/impaction.

Once he had his kidney out he was fine! (not suggesting that Pie needs kidney out - just saying that sometimes there is a completely different actual cause)

Back