• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why??

loulabell

Warren Scout
Are there no magazines on general sale about rabbit care??? :shock:
when you que up to pay in pets at home there are magazines on the counter for, dogs, cats, birds and even fish! but not rabbits? :?
surley for the 3rd most popular pet a magazine packed full of good advice etc... would be a great idea for new rabbit owners!!

its crazy! im sure this is why rabbits are so badly looked after. because people just dont know how to take care of them, i've had rabbits for years but never really knew a lot untill i found this site :)
a monthly magazine would be a brilliant way to get the message across.

Or even just a general small animal care magazine! These things just don't exist which is really tragic. One that covered buns, guineas, chinchillas, gerbils, hammys etc, surely if it was like that there would be plenty of info for monthly releases and it would have wider interest than just a bunny one?

There is Bunny Mad magazine, but I guess they don't have the distribution to go out to big stores?

Magazines like Practical Fishkeeping are owned by Great Magazines, who also own FHM, Empire, Grazia, Your Horse, Kerrang etc hence them having store distribution.

Or even just a general small animal care magazine! These things just don't exist which is really tragic. One that covered buns, guineas, chinchillas, gerbils, hammys etc, surely if it was like that there would be plenty of info for monthly releases and it would have wider interest than just a bunny one?

There is Bunny Mad magazine, but I guess they don't have the distribution to go out to big stores?

Magazines like Practical Fishkeeping are owned by Great Magazines, who also own FHM, Empire, Grazia, Your Horse, Kerrang etc hence them having store distribution.

this would be a great idea! one that coverd small animals :)
i just cant believe there is'nt one out there. :(

I am sure that Lisa at Bunny Mad would love to go national, but unless people buy the magazine now and show that's it's really popular, then how can the circulation grow? You can already buy it from The Hay Experts, but I'm sure with a larger audience and the income that would bring, it might be possible to get it published more often and then, I bet some shops would be more interested.

I for one would love to see this magazine grow.

Just snooped around 3 big publishing groups, nothing to do with small animals! Those being Kelsey Publishing Group (Practical Reptile Keeping & Cage & Aviary Birds), IPC Media (Horse & Hound, Horse, Eventing) and Great Magazines (Practical Fishkeeping, Your Horse, Birdwatching). BPG just has Your Cat and Your Dog. And other smaller publishing groups are out there, like ABM which has Dogs Monthly. Next time someone is in smiths, count how many dog/cat/etc magazines there are!

I was seeing if there was one that didn't get much distribution, but it doesn't exist!

It's weird, there are a ton of magazines on how to shoot animals and hoik fish out of rivers/lakes/the sea with a hook. But quite thin on the ground on how to look after these creatures as pets!!

I am sure that Lisa at Bunny Mad would love to go national, but unless people buy the magazine now and show that's it's really popular, then how can the circulation grow? You can already buy it from The Hay Experts, but I'm sure with a larger audience and the income that would bring, it might be possible to get it published more often and then, I bet some shops would be more interested.

I for one would love to see this magazine grow.

me too , i love bunny mad magazine

Rabbiting On, that's the other magazine I was thinking of. That's breeder friendly though isn't it?

its mad! if every person that brought a cute baby rabbit on impulse purchased a care magazine at the same time it just may make that rabbits life a little bit better,
when we got our puppy i used to buy the 'your dog' magazine every month it was really usefull. i do buy bunny mad magazine and rabbiting on but i never knew about them till i found r/u.

its mad! if every person that brought a cute baby rabbit on impulse purchased a care magazine at the same time it just may make that rabbits life a little bit better,
when we got our puppy i used to buy the 'your dog' magazine every month it was really usefull. i do buy bunny mad magazine and rabbiting on but i never knew about them till i found r/u.

Totally agree with you! A magazine would be more appealing to some people over a book, because it's current, has 'chat' and is something to keep buying. People like to have something new to read and once you have the book, the buzz can wear off.

I think that Bunny Mad has potential to be great and with lots of contributors, it would be interesting and varied, with owners experiences which, like RU, would certainly benefit the masses.

It would be brilliant to see Bunny Mad on general distribution but it might get ravaged by breeders and have to advertise such in order to be able to finance the next issue.

A more generalised rag that covers all popular small animals it would have higher readership and therefore be able to write what they want!

This is why Practical Fishkeeping covers pond, marine, coldwater and tropical fish, if it was just Goldfish it wouldn't sell half as many mags as it does.

It would be brilliant to see Bunny Mad on general distribution but it might get ravaged by breeders and have to advertise such in order to be able to finance the next issue.

A more generalised rag that covers all popular small animals it would have higher readership and therefore be able to write what they want!

This is why Practical Fishkeeping covers pond, marine, coldwater and tropical fish, if it was just Goldfish it wouldn't sell half as many mags as it does.

I don't think that a mag would have to allow breeders to advertise or take part - there are lots of other people who could advertise. I know nothing about magazine publication, but am sure that where there is a will there would be a way.

Let's face it, as has already been said, there are plenty of cat mags and dog mags, so with bunnies being the 3rd most popular pet, there has to be room for atleast one good rabbit magazine that is directed at a market for good welfare - but is inclusive for all comers (new owners and rescuers alike)

Let's face it, as has already been said, there are plenty of cat mags and dog mags, so with bunnies being the 3rd most popular pet, there has to be room for atleast one good rabbit magazine that is directed at a market for good welfare - but is inclusive for all comers (new owners and rescuers alike)

Agreed!

I don't think that a mag would have to allow breeders to advertise or take part - there are lots of other people who could advertise. I know nothing about magazine publication, but am sure that where there is a will there would be a way.

:thumb:

The publishers must have thought about a rabbit magazine. (knowing how thay love to make money!) but maybe thought it was'nt worth it??

Rabbiting On is written by the RWAF and is def anti breeding. It is published quarterly and has really good articles about care, behaviour etc. Several members on here have contributed. It would be really good publication to sell in pet shops but I think it is only currently on subscription. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

I love rabbiting on! but had never heard of it untill i joined rabbits united.
its such a shame you cant buy it without being in the know.

Back