• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can buns go outside in runs after not being out all winter?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: I know it's too early now but I want to buy Beano and Gordon a new run and want to know when I should start looking into which one to get them, so when can rabbits go outside in runs after not being out in them since last summer? I don't take them out into a run in winter as Beano hates it outside when the weather isn't nice and the grass is all muddy. I will give them tiny amounts of grass first before they go out and gradually reintroduce grass to them first, when should I start to do this? Thankyou, I know it's too early now but just wanted to ask now whilst I remember! :)

It depends on how warm it is inside and outside really. If they were in an unheated room and it was a sunny day then they would prob be ok. It also depends on if they are healthy buns too

If Spenser was in a shed I don't think he would be that much warner than in his hutch (which is mainly made from wood 9mm thick), with its thermal cover. He's been out in his run, currently on slabs a few times, with no problems, although I've noticed he doesn't want to stay out too long. If they are going on to grass I think you need to make sure they don't eat too much at first, as this can upset their tummies. Hopefully a shed bunny owner will see your thread. :wave:

It depends on the weather I think.

It's been really warm here today - so warm Alfie needed a lie down in a shady spot after about half an hour of free-ranging. :lol: For indoor bunnies, the weather probably would have been ideal.

You can start introducing the grass very slowly now, it won't hurt. It's quite rich at the moment though due to the new spring growth so only tiny amounts at first. :thumb:

Thankyou everyone :) We don't have much grass in the garden at the moment but it usually starts growing now.

Some of ours have been out today even though they live inside :) It's been beautiful here, so warm I've been out in a short sleeved t-shirt, cropped jeans & sandals today!! :shock: :)

That was until 4pm when it started to piddle it down! :roll:

Last edited:
It has been warm here but more of a stuffy warm then a sunny warm if you know what I mean. Then it went back to being cold!

Yes, you can't trust the weather at this time of year. It's been cold, wet and at one point snowing here today. But we've had days when it was warm enough to go out with no jacket.

Back