• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleeding from somewhere...

Talael

Young Bun
I let Bisky out for a run today and he sat near me for a little stroke and tickle. He seems perfectly happy and isn't off his food at all.

After his tickle he went off round the room running and jumping as usual but then I noticed a pool of blood on the floor where he had been laying.

It was very thick and very, very red and I have no idea where it came from!! I picked him up for a look and he has no blood on him anywhere. The only thing I noticed was some poo hanging out his bottom. It was rock solid and I used some tweezers to pull it out (maybe I shouldn't have but it did seem to be trapped). It was hard on the end that was sticking out but soft and smelly on the end that was inside (like a cecal, if that makes sense) and it did have what appeared to be a little bit of blood on the end.

I've taken him off his pellets and am only giving him hay, water and some pineapple juice (I was told by my vet to give him this when he had a bowel obstruction before).

Does anyone know what might be going on here??? He seems as happy and active as he always is so I just can't figure out what the problem might be. He's about 2 years old and was neutered about 18 months ago.

He needs to see a vet about whatever is going on with his poo, btu for his bleeding, have you checked all his nails? and his hocks? Looked for wounds? Watching his behaviour to see if that gives you any clue?

I would personally take him to the vet-along with any pics of the blood you may have taken, even if he seems well in himself.
sue:wave:

Wow thats sounds pretty nasty! I would defiantly take him to a vet. Blood like that is not normal!

Back