• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding live rabbits to snakes is it illegal?

karen354

Warren Veteran
I'm now admin for a facebook page animal page. I've made people aware of giving animals away for free and no homechecks. I've had positive comments apart from one! She said snakes need to eat aswell. Live buns being fed to snakes is illegal isn't it?

I would hope so but it probably isn't :cry:

I wouldn't recommend it anyway, I've seen pictures of dead snakes that had been killed by their live 'lunch'. No need for it when you can buy frozen and it doesn't cause suffering to either the predator or the prey.

yes i do believe its illegal to feed rabbits live to snakes but then again doesnt mean it still doesnt happen

Thanks all I took the admin job to let everyone know what goes on :cry:some people do not realise how bloody cruel some humans can be !

I also took it on because some pictures posted were horrible :cry: trolls!! I will make sure people will not post sick images or messages when I'm admin.

Evil little sods :evil: These little boys need to come across real men! real men who hate animal abuse.

I dont belive its illegal just frowned upon :wave: Most snake owners only recomend live feeding as a last resort if thier snake will not eat anything when each method has been tried a few times :wave:

The relevant legislation regarging this issue is the 'Animal Welfare Act 2006'. This piece of legislation covers any live vertebrate Animalia other than Homo Sapiens, thus all others of the classes of Mammalia, Amphibia, Pices, Aves, Reptilia are included, therefore those of the class Insecta may be fed life (Due to their lack of a spinal cord), therefore it does include any animal which are consumed by other animals which is not an invertebrate. However, the act does not apply to embryos or fetuses.
(Legislation.gov.uk, Accessed 09/11/10 - Animal Welfare Act 2006)

The Act further defines a protected animal as any living in care in the UK, to which the prey of Snakes fall under

The Act defines any person responsible as he/she who has charge of the animal, in this case the Reptile owner who buys the animal.

The Act states:

"(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)an act of his, or a failure of his to act, causes an animal to suffer,

(b)he knew, or ought reasonably to have known, that the act, or failure to act, would have that effect or be likely to do so,

(c)the animal is a protected animal, and

(d)the suffering is unnecessary."

These conditions being those under which live prey are fed to Snakes & other animals
(Legislation.gov.uk, Accessed 09/11/10 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/4)

The Act also grants law enforcement officers under the Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984 to enter a premises with the intention of arresting an offender of the Animal Welfare Act 2006

Deterrents of the Act include imprisionment of up to 51 weeks & a fine of up to £20,000.
Additional deterrents can include disqualification from owning, keeping, transporting e.c.t. any animal.

Therefore in summary, feeding any vertebrate animal to another animal is an example of unecessary suffering as defined under section four of the Animal Welfare Act 2006, & by the deterrents of the Animal Welfare Act 2006, offenders are punishable by up to 51 weeks imprisionment, a fine of up to £20,000 or both.

And I sincerely hope the disgusting creatures that are responsible for the torturing of the kitten get the maximum sentence - I hope their dogs have been removed aswell - they are scum!:evil:

Last edited:
Facebook page is -- Pets Wrexham n Oswestry Free or For Sale.. I am only there to remove horrible posts and pictures, and advise people . x x x

Facebook page is -- Pets Wrexham n Oswestry Free or For Sale.. I am only there to remove horrible posts and pictures, and advise people . x x x

Well I would copy and paste my post and repost it everytime someone pipes up thinking it's big or clever to feed live animals to snakes - it's cruel IMO.

There aren't words suitable for what I would like to do to these two pieces of shhhhht! :evil::evil::evil: I really hope they get what they deserve!

Great info VickiP.

Thanks Rachel I hope it helps, Monocle Bunny - the USA is a completely different kettle of fish - they are a long way from being able to introduce legislation - only recently a restaurant owner was going to serve Lion meat in his mexican restaurant! To make matters worse they were ex-pets that people could no longer handle - honestly - it beggars belief but, it's true, they have a long long way to go over there.:evil:

Did they actually mention live feeding, or just say that snakes need to eat?

I put about please do not let pets go without home checks or maybe vet references. I put about dogs or any animals going as live bait for dog fights :cry: I also put about "free" rabbits going to people who want them to either feed snakes live or as a play thing for dogs! Someone came back to me and said but snakes need to eat aswell!
I deleted her post on the page .

Back