• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit safe weed and feed?

Normally my buns are my weed and feed :D. They eat the weeds and feed the grass! :lol:

Seriously, I have no idea. We needed to boost our grass last year and just put down loads of grass seed and kept the buns off it for a couple of weeks. Might be safest to pull them up by hand :?

I haven't come across one and the only grass seed I can find that is not chemically treated is Canadian Grass with greenfingers.com.

DO NOT use any chemicals at all on grass/weeds rabbits have access to. Not even fertilisers.

Completely agree. Even grass seed has fertilisers and weedkillers on it, and that miracle lawn grow stuff is evil!

The only weeds you really need to worry about are Ranunculus (buttercups) and ragwort. Most of the little weeds in your lawn will be bunny safe or not harmful in small amounts. Our lawn is full of all sorts of wild plants that have adapted to being mown and grow flat and spreading.... most if not all are quite safe. The only ones I dig out are the buttercups. Daisies although not strictly safe again in small amounts will not cause harm. Try not to worry too much, serious toxic plants will rarely be tiny in the lawn and tend to be the larger more well known plants/shrubs. Mildly toxic weeds/plants will cause no harm diluted by other plants and grass when bun is grazing. :):wave:

I realise grass seed may have some stuff in it but surely it must be ok to use because all grass must start as seed at some point. :?

I've just weed and feeded my lawn, I used a weedkiller that said petsafe on it, will this not be ok? Because it's too late, I've already done it - does that mean Beau can't ever go on it?

DO NOT use any chemicals at all on grass/weeds rabbits have access to. Not even fertilisers.

I don't mean to be pedantic but everything is a chemical even water :D (see material safety data sheet http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html).

Seriously though you are absolutely right, never use pesticides, fungicides, fertilliser etc apart from good old fashioned bunny poo and a bit of elbow grease for getting out the weeds and moss.

I don't mean to be pedantic but everything is a chemical even water :D (see material safety data sheet http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html).

Seriously though you are absolutely right, never use pesticides, fungicides, fertilliser etc apart from good old fashioned bunny poo and a bit of elbow grease for getting out the weeds and moss.

but what about me? We moved house to have a garden for Beau. Can he seriously never go on it now I've put weed killer on it? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

but what about me? We moved house to have a garden for Beau. Can he seriously never go on it now I've put weed killer on it? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

What's the weed killer? Go look at the bottle and see what what it says to do if you accidently swallow some/get it on your skin. If it has nasty warning about either of those things I would be really careful for at least the next 6 months with letting bunnies out on it.

What's the weed killer? Go look at the bottle and see what what it says to do if you accidently swallow some/get it on your skin. If it has nasty warning about either of those things I would be really careful for at least the next 6 months with letting bunnies out on it.

It says kids and pets can go on it once it's dry. I chose it carefully. This can't be happening, I feel sick.

It says kids and pets can go on it once it's dry. I chose it carefully. This can't be happening, I feel sick.

You need to phone the company who make it. I used one last year - when I phoned they said that rabbits shouldn't have access for 6 weeks and it needed to be mowed 4 times.

Think what they mean when they say pet friendly once dry is that it's ok for cats etc to walk on it - doesn't mean safe to be eaten.

I think it means that it's ok to play on for kids, dogs and cats who are not likely to ingest lots of it. With rabbits grazing then it may not be safe.

Does it say anything about what to do if ingested? It should say or at least have a website to visit for that info - it's a legal requirement with stuff like this along with cleaning products as kids can easily get hold of them.

it says 'seek medical advice if ingested'. It also says dangerous to livestock, and to keep them off it for 14 days.

it says 'seek medical advice if ingested'. It also says dangerous to livestock, and to keep them off it for 14 days.

In which case I would at least double the amount of time you keep a rabbit off it as livestock tend to be more exposed to harmful stuff than our pampered pets.

Anyone think it would be a good idea to water the lawn lots to try and dilute it and leach it out of the soil?

Don't want to tell you to do something that could make things worse.

I always dig up any buttercup roots and yes- if you spot ragwort then put plastic gloves on and dig out as I think it can also be a skin irritant.

ivy is poisonous I believe.
also(though unlikely to be a weed) the pollen of lilies is poisonous.

If I had a run full of weeds I would pull up by hand any I didn't know were safe. ....maybe plant herbs and dandelions in there?

sue:wave:

Back