• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly repellents?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I'm just starting to see flies about now. I've just seen one in the rabbits shed too and I mananged to shoo that one out the door but a couple of days ago had to squash one as it wouldn't go out and I'd normally never harm them but didn't want it to harm the buns or the guineas. What fly repellents could I get to put in or around their shed? I'd rather get things that repell them as I don't like harming them but if any do go in the shed where can I buy those sticky things that catch them as I could stick a couple of them up in the windows? I'm also going to put some plants or things that repell them around their run when they go out in summer, which are best? Flysrike is a real worry but my buns live in a clean environment and I check their bums often and am just making sure I'm doing everything I can to prevent it, is there anything else I can do? Thankyou very much for any help :)

Have you considered getting some fly proof neeting to put over the windows and any mesh that you have. This will stop them getting inside the run and shed.

No flies here yet - we've had snow. :shock: Last summer I was terribly worried because Spenser was impossible to bum check. All my attempts ended in fur-flying, several scratches and a very cross bunny. :oops::roll: I think there is a Rabbit Welfare Assocition leaflet with some tips. It can probably be viewed on their website.

I've seen the odd fly. I'm buying those strips you hang from the wall putting one in the shed and one in the outhouse.

We plan on putting fly nets over the rescue hutch's as well. I've heard they hate citronella and lavender. We have lots of lavender plants here.

We also have a pet spider, one of those big brown skinny ones, he lives in the shed and we named him Fred. I've not seen any flies in the shed, but I did see a one in his web, so we know he's doing his job, so my OH won't kill him :roll:

I hate killing spiders it's so uncalled for and they do us such a big favour by eating all the horrible lil' insects that could harm our bun's.

Thankyou everyone :wave: I will get some netting to put over the door when it's open thankyou, does anyone know where I can buy some? Beano is very difficult too, as soon as I put her down again she'll hop off kicking her back feet and go sit somewhere and wash herself whilst glaring at me :roll: I can't stand spiders! They really scare me, I can't even walk past one but I'm starting to aprrechaite them for what they do.

I've seen the odd fly. I'm buying those strips you hang from the wall putting one in the shed and one in the outhouse.

We plan on putting fly nets over the rescue hutch's as well. I've heard they hate citronella and lavender. We have lots of lavender plants here.

We also have a pet spider, one of those big brown skinny ones, he lives in the shed and we named him Fred. I've not seen any flies in the shed, but I did see a one in his web, so we know he's doing his job, so my OH won't kill him :roll:

I hate killing spiders it's so uncalled for and they do us such a big favour by eating all the horrible lil' insects that could harm our bun's.

:D When I see a daddy long legs in my garage I will think of Fred :D

Agree with the fly netting. Other than that the best you can do is keep trays clean and check bums daily re flystrike :)

I use this stuff too as the weather gets warmer

http://www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk/p/product/0509163633-Buzz+Off:+50gms/

I dilute it with water in a spray bottle, I spray it onto the wood of their hutch after I have scrubbed the whole thing out each week and leave it on to dry :)

I also use this grooming lotion on my rabbits once a week

http://www.bunnybazaar.com/more/on/details/GROOM

Thats for flea control though, random cats kept passing fleas to my rabbits so I just use this all the time now as I can't really keep the cats away from their hutch. Not sure if it would have the same effect on keeping flies away from your bunnies

I went through all manner of fly reppellant, papers and even neon/lectricutor lights and found that the humble sticky fly paper actually worked best.

However make sure its stuck up firmly because when it falls behind the radiator and found by an investimigating bunneh 6 months later, they will get extremely disapproving at you after having it pulled off them...

Back