• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

strings and strings of uneaten caecs and miserable Ruby

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Just found LOADS and LOADS of uneaten caecs in Billy and Ruby's room. Billy was pestering me for treats and Ruby just sat in the corner, so I figured it must be Ruby. tried to feed both of them the caecs just to check, but neither will take them.

Ruby looks like there's something up but she's eating a tiny, tiny bit...

Is this the first stage of stasis for some buns? I've had buns instasis before but it's never presented like this.

uneaten cecals can be a sign that a rabbit is feeling rubbish and rough, and pain can slow the gut, which can also cause it. It sounds like something is going on for her. Maybe teeth?

Never had to deal with stasis, sorry. I can't help out with this one.

We all hope that this is not the case, and she brightens up very soon.

Di and the gang.

xx

Hmmm maybe the beginnings of some form of stasis. Could maybe be a problem with the Caecum that makes the cecotropes not'taste/smell' right to the bun, and thats why she isn't eating them?

I suppose with different buns stasis/bloat affects them in different ways sometimes. Is she drinking? Any changes to diet etc?
If it's the beginning of stasis they can still eat, I found when Pie had bad bloat she still ate a little bit. Hope it's nothing too bad though. :(

If she's acting subdued and not eating much I would phone your vet and get an appointment straight away.

Is she moulting heavily? I think this happened last year to Starbuck and I think the cecals and misshaped poos were strung together with fur from where he had ingested some of his fur. It then went on to cause stasis.

I'm not too sure I'm afraid, I know Peanut tends to leave some if she's eaten too much or when she's had some veg, I still need to work out if it's any veg in particular though. I hope she's ok, they really do makes us worry don't they :(

Thanks for all your comments. I don't know whether it's her or Billy now, so have put a divider between them so they can still see each other but I can get to the bottom of who is doing the funny poos...

I would suggest she may have a pain somewhere which is making her not want to move - hence not doing the quite athletic trick of getting the mouth to the bum!

VET ASAP!!!

How is this possible that they can both be off at once?

Billy's snuffles have come back very suddenly, his nose is full of snot to the extent that his breathing is audible and fuzzy AND noisy.

Ruby is eating more and she loves fbreplex so I've been giving her that and there've been no caecs left for about four hours.

The vet earlier have given Billy a new anti-biotic and they've told me to use olbas oil for him which I'm doing...

Any other tips for a really snuffly bun?

I've no advice either, sorry, but you can have squillions of vibes. xxxx How are they both this morning?

Something that really helped Merlin when was really snuffly was a humidifier. I got one from Amazon its a baby's one. It broke in the end or you could have had that. Sending loads of vibes for the two. Have you given Ruby anything different to eat. Mine get them when they have too much carrot.

Just found this old thread about humidifiers where Jane has posted and is probably how I got to know about them.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=133193&highlight=humidifiers

Last edited:
Back