• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nutering time for Bramble

clarebear

Mama Doe
Had a discussion with OH last night, and I will be ringing the vets this week to get Bramble booked in for his nutering.......I'm scared!

Spenser's booked in for 24th, and I'm mega scared too! It's a really straightforward op for boys, but the anaesthetic is always a nagging worry. The only thing I'm looking forward to is having him indoors overnight. The puppy crate is going to be in my bedroom. :love:

Aww glad to hear I'm not the only one! Yes, I'm looking forward to having Bramble indoors overnight too :) I will need to sort out some accomodation for him.

We have two puppy pens on the patio joined together. I wonder if I could bring one of those in, or would that be too big?

I bought a puppy pen before Christmas, thinking Spenser might have to come in. It wasn't necessary because I also bouught a thermal hutch cover. The puppy crate is still in its box in the garage, and I have ordered a fleece quilt in its size from Tracey's fundraiser. I think it's floor space is 4 feet by 2 feet - perhaps on the large size for cage rest, but I orginally had it in mind that Spenser might be living in it for the worst of the winter. I'll need to tiduy up my room a bit. I don't know if I should introduce Spenser to his temporary home before the op, so that it's not so strange for him?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to introduce him to his new place! Wouldn't be quite so scary then for him. I will maybe have to look into getting a dog crate or something for Bramble.

I have just rung the vets and he is booked in for the 21st - gulp!

They have told me not to let him have any food after 7pm the night before and just water that morning. Is that what you were told too? I thought it was different for rabbits? :?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to introduce him to his new place! Wouldn't be quite so scary then for him. I will maybe have to look into getting a dog crate or something for Bramble.

I have just rung the vets and he is booked in for the 21st - gulp!

They have told me not to let him have any food after 7pm the night before and just water that morning. Is that what you were told too? I thought it was different for rabbits? :?

Do not take him to that vets!!! that's wrong wrong wrong!!:(

They need to be fed before an op, most definitely NOT starved.

Phoned them back and the receptionist spoke to the nurse, who said to feed him as normal. So glad I asked! Should I be worried about taking him there now, or do you think it was just an honest mistake? They've always been very good.

Phoned them back and the receptionist spoke to the nurse, who said to feed him as normal. So glad I asked! Should I be worried about taking him there now, or do you think it was just an honest mistake? They've always been very good.

Often the receptionists take it upon themselves to give advice as though they are a vet - it happens at my practice sometimes and it can be just an honest mistake... but I would try and speak to the actual vet before you decide to take him there:)

My Benji and one of my girls are being done on thursday, I'm scared too:lol:

I've an appointment in the morning at 8.30am, and then they would operate in the afternoon if everything is okay.

I would imagine the receptionist just gave out the standard info, not realising it was different for rabbits.

I'm so scared. Just went downstairs and looked out at Bramble, who was very bouncy, and thought.....you are going hate me! :cry:

I would say have a chat with the vet. Ask what their mortality rate is for the op, (should be low) how many they do a week/month, what aftercare they will give etc and see how you feel in your gut.

My mums vet told her that her fourish year old female who was v healthy stood more chance of dying under GA than from uterine cancer :shock: A year later she is a happily spayed female and was spayed elsewhere. That particular vet was more of a farm vet and didnt know much about buns :D

I haven't asked my vet many questions yet. :oops: I know one of the vets (there are only two) has done successful impaction surgery, and the receptionist told me they always took especial care of the smaller animals re. keeping them warm etc. Rabbits cannot vomit, which is why they should be given access to food and water up until the time of their op. The vet told me Spenser would be weighed so that he was given the correct doze of anaesthetic.

I would say have a chat with the vet. Ask what their mortality rate is for the op, (should be low) how many they do a week/month, what aftercare they will give etc and see how you feel in your gut.

My mums vet told her that her fourish year old female who was v healthy stood more chance of dying under GA than from uterine cancer :shock: A year later she is a happily spayed female and was spayed elsewhere. That particular vet was more of a farm vet and didnt know much about buns :D

Thank you, that's very helpful. I shall go with a list to ask them!

Back