• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's "normal" in male bunnies after neutering?

I had Elvis since he was 6 weeks old and got him neutered when he was 6 months and he never even once tried to hump anything or anyone. He lived to be 5 and died not too long ago of a stroke.
Recently I adopted a bunny from a breeder who was reducing her lop herd who was 7 months old (now 8 months). He started humping everything a few days after I brought him home. Yesterday I got him neutered and before the drugs even wore off he was trying to hump my leg and arm. It hasnt' even been 2 days now and he's already tearing around the house, jumping on all the furniture, running up the stairs and trying to hump everything in sight. Elvis was never like this so I'm wondering if the new little guy, Jett, will calm down eventually and not be so spastic.

I think it also depends on the bunny. My Gasket used to hump Tappet as a dominance thing, they were both boys. Tappet hardly ever tried to hump Gasket, except for one time when he got fed up with Gasket's attentions, That gave him a shock because he was a bit smaller than tap and was always "top bun" he soon reasserted his dominance over him.

Conversely I have never seen Sprocket try to hump anything, he lives with Widget who is a female. In terms of dominance, I think they are more equally matched, he requests grooming from her a lot, but she can be nippy towards him at times, although touch wood that seems to have reduced somewhat now and I think it is because he grooms her more often now.

Back