• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water Bowls

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've got a water bottle for my rabbits and a water bowl, and they are used to drinking out of a bowl. One thing my Mum said that I didn't think about is, would the rabbits sit in it or anything like that? I don't know if they'd be daft enough to walk into it but I don't want them getting wet and cold :lol:

Only one of mine has ever had the water bowl, but no she never sat in it, not that I saw anyway and she was indoors for quite a while at teh beginng, occasionally when she flopped her ears may land in it lol, but she would never intentionally sit on it

Occasionally the tip of their ear might fall in or they might put a front paw in by mistake but they notice pretty quickly and luckily they have plenty of straw to dry their paws on (or we do it for them depending).

Julie is a house rabbit. She does not sit in her water bowl but she loves to play in it. She dips her face in it and her paws. Sometimes she flicks her paws after dipping them and sometimes uses the water to help wash up. She is strange.

ooohhh nnooo! I found a dead spider in ours yesterday! :shock: Good job they get fresh every day :D But sometimes they either drop/flick pooh pellets into it but I've never seen them sit in it.

one of my girls sits on her water bowl but holds herself up so she doesnt get wet, its so she can pee in it :roll: i have to change it all the time as everything i give her clean fresh water she goes and uses it as a toilet again, im trying to get a water bottle for her but need to find one that will fit through the gaps in the NIC cages ive only found one bottle that fits but it came with a cage and i dont want to buy the whole cage again for a water bottle lol

I've only had babies (like a couple of weeks old) sit in them. The adults may dance in them if excited, but generally they are pretty good. I tend to use dog bowls for pairs, because then I have no worries about them flipping it, or about them running out of water.

one of my girls sits on her water bowl but holds herself up so she doesnt get wet, its so she can pee in it :roll: i have to change it all the time as everything i give her clean fresh water she goes and uses it as a toilet again, im trying to get a water bottle for her but need to find one that will fit through the gaps in the NIC cages ive only found one bottle that fits but it came with a cage and i dont want to buy the whole cage again for a water bottle lol

Odd thought, but have you tried giving her warm water to drink?

My boys have bottle and bowls, and drink out of both, but prefer the bowls.

The only time any of them has gone into the water bowl is when they do a mad binky and mis-judge their landing place :lol:

No would that help?

I don't know, it depends why they do it. But some rabbits drink their own urine either through habit, or because they are cold and want something warm to drink (which was my relevant point), so maybe adding a dash of boiled water might help? So that's its just warm water.

Will give it a go but i wouldnt have thought she would be cold she is an indoor bunny and we live in a 3 story house so our living room (middle floor) is always really warm, we also have reptiles in here so there are heat lamps on for several hours a day

Mine don't exactly sit in water bowls, but they do put their front paws in. I prefer bottles, more hygenic and less mess

I've got a ceramic bowl with rabbit written on it, but it's the same size as a cat bowl. I've got a water bottle for them too which I'm going to put on the hutch to so they have the choice :)

Back