• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What Does A Blind Rabbits Eyes Look Like??

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Can you tell by just looking at their eyes?? I was told my Charlie bun was blind but now I don't think he is as he hurtles round the garden fearlessly =anyone know??

Depends what the cause of the blindness is. Cataracts, for example, are obvious but something like a retinopathy may not be without the use of an opthalmoscope.

Can you tell by just looking at their eyes?? I was told my Charlie bun was blind but now I don't think he is as he hurtles round the garden fearlessly =anyone know??

Sorry I can't answer your question.... but just wanted to say that being blind doesn't seem to stop some buns racing fearlessly ... my housebun is like a rocket :D

Louie's eyes look perfectly normal, the vet confirmed his blindness by shining a light into his eyes.

He bombs around everywhere!

Don't know about bunnies, but I have a few very old piggies that have cataract and the eyes are dull with a blue veil over it.
You can easily see that they don't see anything anymore when you pick them up.

Blind eyes can look completely normal if the problem is with the retina at the back of the inside of the eye.

The milky/white/blue veil described above is caused by cataracts which cover the lense and cause the animal to go blind, but this is usually very obvious so if you can't see anything then the problem is most likely inside the actual eye so you won't see any difference.

Thanks all - so would a vet have the equipment to check this in a routine check up - is it a straightforward thing for a vet to check (if you know what i mean?)

Thanks all - so would a vet have the equipment to check this in a routine check up - is it a straightforward thing for a vet to check (if you know what i mean?)

Yes, Louie had a test when he went for his vaccination. There are, of course, many different reasons for blindness. Neither of Louie's eyes react to light/movement at all and he would have been blind from birth.

Back