• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

still dirty bum

hello everyone I posted a while ago (link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222540&highlight=carmen ) about dirty bum on my rabbit and how she appreared to have fly strike.

she didnt but the vets cleaned her up and all in it cost me over £200

the vets advised i feed EXCEL which I have done however its just an ongoing problem which has got much much worse over last few weeks and I need it sorted for summer

I have over last few weeks changed her diet again to bunny basics oxo after reading on here and i chop hay in with it

Ethels bum is not so much pooey but has a yellow discharge?!? I clean her and bathe her every weekend and have tried applying steroid cream given by vets then tried savlon dry antiseptic to dry it and now last two weeks just salt water

me and my other half are at wits end he is allergic hence why I can only bring her in to bath her in sink at weekend, she is also not very tame which makes it so hard I feel like everytime I do anything with her im scaring her.

we will take her to vets again but they dont seem to solve the problem and I really cannot afford it as she probably will need sedatives to be truley sorted I nearly ended up with scissors in my eye trimming her a few weeks ago!!

Also just want you to know I did not buy this rabbit (I would love to have bought a nice rabbit but I wouldnt buy one as I cant afford one right now :shock:) I found it as a stray, RSPCA wanted her pts as was burnt all over back I funded private vet care which I really cannot afford am trying my best with this rabbit but is difficult as she obviously due to the bad times she has had is not very tame

help and advice please

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222540&highlight=carmen

:wave: I have a bun who has problems with excess caecotrophs so the vet clips her bottom area every few weeks to prevent it getting messy. This is a very quick procedure & far less stressful when done by professionals.

Do you use a bunny savvy vet? I'm just asking as I find it surprising that your vet hasn't suggested keeping the area clipped.
Also, Excel pellets are known to cause excess caecotrophs, so I'm surprised your vet advised feeding them.

How much hay does your rabbit eat? What quantity of pellets do you feed? Does your rabbit eat sugary veg & fruit such as carrots or apples?

Is it discharge around your rabbits bottom? Or staining? If it's discharge she really needs to see a vet as it could be an infection.

Back