• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit died.

I came home from work earlier and found my rabbit loulou dead. he was strectched out like he was sleeping, on his hay. I only got him in september and am in shock and dont understand why he has died. I got him from a local pet shop and took him to the vet just to get him checked over and he had his injections. Can anyone help me in knowing why he died suddenly.

Thanks

so sorry for your loss. It could be a number of things - your vet should be able to do a post mortem on him which might help you understand what happened

I'm really sorry for your loss.

The only way to know is to have a post mortem done on his body. We can only speculate, which is of no real use. We can't give you the facts you need and want. Sorry.

thank you all for your kind words. he had his vaccinations when I bought him in September, as soon as i bought him i took him to the vets.

hes a house rabbit, all the doors were closed so he had the run of the hallway and utility room. and there is a window but as he was lying on his hay when i found him i dont think it could of been shock as he would have been in a different positition.

firstly, im so so sorry :( that must have been horrible to come home too. i think taking him to the vets for a post mortem would help to put your mind at rest, its impossible to tell otherwise. With your child, i would not lie to her but tell her gently that bunny had to go to rainbow bridge today to see all the other bunnys, he cant come back now but he can see you from rainbow bridge, when you have griefed and found the answer to why he died, there are so many bunnys in rescue that need loving homes, maybe you and your child could look together :). im truely sorry for your lose and hope you find a answer to his death xx

hes a house rabbit, all the doors were closed so he had the run of the hallway and utility room. and there is a window but as he was lying on his hay when i found him i dont think it could of been shock as he would have been in a different positition.

Im so sorry you have lost your beautiful boy,but Im trying to think what may of happened,a bunny can lie any way when they die.If he had a heart attack which is very sudden he could still be lying straight out.As you have had him vaccinated and he is a house bun it could be a number of things and as others have said a PM may be the the only way to find the cause of death or he could have had an underlying health issue which will may never be picked up.Im sorry im not much help,big hugs to you and your daughter at this devastating time xxxxxxx

I really am so so sorry :(

Focusing on a cause it is very important that any sudden deaths are reported to your vets asap. Regardless of what may have caused it the vets need to be alerted in the event it is VHD as a precautionary measure.

Vaccinations are not guaranteed to stop illnesses they are for from developing.

Sudden death can be caused by a good few things as mentioned it posts above and is really heart wrenching as you had no control over the situation- Morgs and I send our love xx

Last edited:
Back