• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a rabbit to take lapizole/panacur

kstevens7

Young Bun
We are at the beginning of our 28 day course. Today is day 2. Day one involved bunny-burritoing her and I do NOT want to do that again. She gets way too stressed out. But I have tried with various types of food - just spent 3 pounds on bananas she won't go near. Does anyone have any idea how to get it into her?! Her favourite things are greens but I feel that if I spread it onto those she simply won't eat them.

Difficult situation. Thank you.
x

Just read your post through again - my suggestion used banana which is obv no use!

Try spearing some greens with the syringe. Once they have taken it into their mouth to get them off, quickly give the meds. Make sure they get a few bits of greens before and after the one where they get the medicine!

Last edited:
I spread it on a slice of carrot and offer it to them panacur side down.. Sometimes some of it comes off but they get most of it :)

I'm afraid I don't muck about.

I used to try putting it on different foods, but by day 3 they were all wise and I ended up wasting lots.

I get my buns with their back feet against my hip, and their heads by my stomach (so they're lying sideways) and I hold them firmly with my left arm, using my left hand to hold their heads steady whilst I put the syringe in their mouth.

I'm afraid I don't muck about.

I used to try putting it on different foods, but by day 3 they were all wise and I ended up wasting lots.

I get my buns with their back feet against my hip, and their heads by my stomach (so they're lying sideways) and I hold them firmly with my left arm, using my left hand to hold their heads steady whilst I put the syringe in their mouth.

Ditto this- none of the food methods have ever worked for me and there is too much panacur in a dose - I'd be there allday.

No messing about with me either Im afraid.. A minute of stress and its over and done with and at least you know all the medicine has been taken.
Id be all day waiting for any of mine to take medicine off their food.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess it will be the no-messing-about-approach for me as well then. Nothing I have tried works and hopefully she will be used to it by the end of the 28 days. Still makes me feel bad though!

Thanks again
x

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess it will be the no-messing-about-approach for me as well then. Nothing I have tried works and hopefully she will be used to it by the end of the 28 days. Still makes me feel bad though!

Thanks again
x

hopefully she'll get used to it, only a few seconds of stress and each day getts nearer to end of course :) i remember when mowgli had it, they said he'd like it with the aniseed in it, he nevr did, but he did take it

I've had success with food - but it is a bit of a faff.....still easier than catching a bun with a number of hiding places that doesn't want to be handled!

Finely grate carrot (parmesan cheese type is good) and it comes out like a puree. Dab the excess moisture away with kitchen roll, divide into number of bunny portions and then use the paste to bind it back together.

My buns lap it up and no trauma for me!

It's funny, all mine come running when they see a syringe because I always have some banana on it. They never know when there's meds in it. I do it even when I don't need to to keep them conditioned to eating from it. Works with Baytril, panacur, ranitidine and Protexin. If they are in their cage I just pop it through the bars and they take it straight away. None is lost and they are happy, not even a minute of stress!

Back