• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Waste!

jody

Alpha Buck
:wave:I know this is probably a silly question,but has anyone or could you use a compost bin to dispose of droppings ,sawdust and hay?

Would it rot down ?

As bags are filling up my bins! :D:wave:

Hi, I load up the car each week and take to my local waste site as our wheelie bins get full very quickly and if the lid isn't laying flat the dusbin men wont take them! It does compost down but not very quickly so you might end up with compost bins everywhere. I have tried burning it but I just didn't feel it was right to do it so taking it to the tip is really the only option for me :wave:

I put mine in my brown waste bin.The dustman takes it...its not in bags...he just empties the wheelie bin into his lorry....

Thanks! yes i will check with my local council about the green waste bins,if not Tip here we come :)))0

It's an on going problem at this end. I'm a rescue with a lot of poo. The concil have given me 1 extra lage waste bin. Which I can fill in half hour with 5 cages. I take a very full trailer to the dump to put in green waste every week. I do have a council green bin, but not aloud to put animal waste in it. Although it ends up at the same place as my dump green waste.

I have to put ours in the black bin 'cos when I phoned to ask if I could put said waste in the brown bin the assistant said no. So I guess it depends what council you're under. Just got rid of a hideous compost bin -it just didn't seem to compost- even with a catalyst type compound to speed the process up, and the garden's too small anyway. I try to fold newspaper up to reduce space. :D

I put mine in my green waste bin, sadly it's shared with my two neighbours so I have to have some of it sitting on the patio and also use the two black bins we also share. The bin men haven't whinged about it being in the green bin and still take it, but according to our tip's website they don't take animal waste, grr! :evil:

As ours goes on the compost. However, sawdust or wood shavings really aren't good for bunnies so we use something called megazorb with one pair and just paper with the other.

Mine all goes in the green bins (we have two though ;) ) but on Saturday I met a lady who said she would happily take the poops and use them as fertiliser :shock::lol: All I have to do now is separate them from the hay :roll::lol:

Mine all goes in the green bins (we have two though ;) ) but on Saturday I met a lady who said she would happily take the poops and use them as fertiliser :shock::lol: All I have to do now is separate them from the hay :roll::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Good luck with sorting through that :lol::lol:

I used to have a compost for rabbit waste when I had outdoor rabbits, just because it was easier and it took forever to degrade.

Its odd, we don't really have any restrictions on garbage and it seems much easier here... you just have garbage cans and a recycle bin instead of a bunch of different colored bins and you can have as many as you want. The garbage men here will take literally anything, huge couches and everything. The yard waste people are the same way. The only annoying thing is that the garbage men we have now usually come before the recycling men and for some reason the garbage men will take recyclable objects if they aren't in the recycling bin, like big plastic cat litter containers when they obviously are right next to the recycling bin...makes me mad, considering thats a lot of plastic that should have been recycled.

I used to have a compost for rabbit waste when I had outdoor rabbits, just because it was easier and it took forever to degrade.

Its odd, we don't really have any restrictions on garbage and it seems much easier here... you just have garbage cans and a recycle bin instead of a bunch of different colored bins and you can have as many as you want. The garbage men here will take literally anything, huge couches and everything. The yard waste people are the same way. The only annoying thing is that the garbage men we have now usually come before the recycling men and for some reason the garbage men will take recyclable objects if they aren't in the recycling bin, like big plastic cat litter containers when they obviously are right next to the recycling bin...makes me mad, considering thats a lot of plastic that should have been recycled.

They forget to empty both my bins half the time:censored: One week we have green bin emptied then the other week the main rubbish bin! crazy :lol:

We are allowed to put 'bedding from small animals' in the garden waste bin so I gues that includes poops! Would compost it if I could though. I think it would be a great assest to a compost bin!

Sadly it probably all goes to landfill ! Do they have incinerator plants in the US? (im talking about the couches and stuff)

Sadly it probably all goes to landfill ! Do they have incinerator plants in the US? (im talking about the couches and stuff)

I think in my city it does go to landfills. But the US does have waste incinerators. According to this http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/06/ask-pablo-waste-incineration-good-or-bad.php

In 2008 the United States generated 250 million tons of MSW, of which 33.2% was recovered (recycled or composted), and 12.6% was incinerated, leaving 135 million tons to be sent to landfill facilities. With an expected generating efficiency of 665 kWh per ton of MSW we are potentially discarding 90 terawatt-hours (90,000,000,000 kWh) each year, enough to power over 8 million average US Households.

So I"m kinda confused on whether they are good or not...

What do you guys do when you need to throw away things that are too large to fit in bins? For people that don't have a car do they have to pay to have it hauled away?

Many people dump it, or get friends to take it to the council tip, but Gumtree and Freecycle (and Ebay i guess) are getting more popular and of course charity shops!

A little of topic here...... My Dad/sister put ferret poo (lots of it) in the compost bin and it can take some of the sawdust but not too much, you need plenty of other rotting veg for it to work though.

Back